Are maps compatible?

Hi
I have a TomTom One (3rd Edition) and have bought a Western and Central Europe map originally used on a 1st edition. I have loaded it and nothing happens. Will it work on this device.
Cheers
Allgass

Hi
I have a TomTom One (3rd Edition) and have bought a Western and Central Europe map originally used on a 1st edition. I have loaded it and nothing happens. Will it work on this device.
Cheers
Allgass
Maps are keyed to individual TT devices. That's going to be a problem. Where did you buy the WCE map? You're going to want that 1st ed. to go with it, I'm afraid.

Hi Canderson
Thanks for the reply. I bought the maps on e-bay (apparently a genuine TomTom SD card). When you say the maps are keyed to individual devices, do you mean individual models or will the map only work for the device for which it was bought, with some authentication code or something?
Bit of a novice at TomToms as you can see!
Regards
Allgass

In Europe maps can be bought on a card, unlike NA where all current maps have to be downloaded using Home.

Maps on a card are locked to the card, not the device. That means you can use the same sd card in another unit with a sd card slot and the map should work in it as well.

Downloaded maps are locked to one device when installed. So they can not be used on more than the designated device.

Hi Canderson
Thanks for the reply. I bought the maps on e-bay (apparently a genuine TomTom SD card).
Allgass
Ah - as DHN says, that's a better situation. You can swap SD maps between TT units - providing they've got the slot.

That said, you're saying you have a TT One 3rd Edition with an SD card slot??? The reason I focused on the problem of downloaded maps is that ... I've not seen a 3rd edition with SD - ever.

Last edited:

Ask a Question