Appears to not accept charge

TomTom Model(s)
Hi, I purchased in Nov 2020 (ie just out of warranty!) from Halfords in the UK a TomTom Go Premium 5"

Its been working fine then this week appeared to just 'die'.

Right now its connected to my laptop and it has at least come alive - but hasnt booted, I had the Tom Tom hand shake logo for a brief moment then I have a monochrome screen showing its specifications. This shows the Device ID number as ZR2339I01845 and further down, despite now being connected for 30mins, the battery charge level as 0% (3283mv).

And, bizarrely, in case this helps there is a date/time which appears to be running fine - but shows Fri Apr 28, then time, in 1972(!)

Any help /guidance welcome please
Thanks
Rob

Initially, try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Hi, I purchased in Nov 2020 (ie just out of warranty!) from Halfords in the UK a TomTom Go Premium 5"

Its been working fine then this week appeared to just 'die'.

Right now its connected to my laptop and it has at least come alive - but hasnt booted, I had the Tom Tom hand shake logo for a brief moment then I have a monochrome screen showing its specifications. This shows the Device ID number as ZR2339I01845 and further down, despite now being connected for 30mins, the battery charge level as 0% (3283mv).

And, bizarrely, in case this helps there is a date/time which appears to be running fine - but shows Fri Apr 28, then time, in 1972(!)

Any help /guidance welcome please
Thanks
Rob
Your original title is "Appears not to accept a charge". I think we need to stay focused on that for the moment.
First, understand that your laptop is likely able to produce only 500mA of current, which is not enough to operate the device, so powering it up attached that way is actually going to deplete the battery on your GO. Without powering it up, does your laptop eventually (it's going to take a while at 500mA) charge your GO? If so, we need to then focus on how you were trying to charge it when it "Appears not to accept a charge". Was this in vehicle? Have you tried a mains charger rated at 1.2A or more?

Hi there

Thanks for the replies. After posting, last night I did remember the current being an issue and connected the unit to a mains charger. After 10 minutes or so it accepted the soft reset ('drums') and seems to have powered up OK.

Fingers crossed and thanks again.

Ask a Question