Appearance of a new file on device

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes Edition (UK & ROI)
Hi
I updated my TomTom One XL IQ Routes today and when I checked the ephem folder of the device I noticed that I now have a file there called cbee.cbee.
Can anyone tell me what this rather strange file/file extension is and why it is now in my ephem folder?

Hmm.....

Just updated my 720 with a new gps file and saw nothing of the sort in my ephem folder.

Why not delete everything in your ephem folder and then go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris\

and delete any sub-folders found there.

Connect to Home and a new gpsquickfix file should be offered. Accept and install.

@EricG
You've got me curious about that file. If you could create a *.zip file of it and attach it to a post here, I'd be very interested in seeing what it looks like.

Hi

I attach a copy of my ephem folder from my device which contains the ususal three files plus this new one - cbee.cbee

I look forward to your further comments on this strange file.

Attachments

• ephem.zip
    51.7 KB · Views: 362
Thanks, Eric. I have the file. Will have to see if I can figure out what all of that business is in there. Lots of lines of @^@ee14BBB... with unique numbers following.

That file doesn't appear anywhere else on my computer, not even in any of the TomTom files or my Backup files.
I shall delete the contents of the ephem folder on my deviceon my next update and see whether it reappears.

I just deleted the ephem contents and updated my device and this time that file hasn't reappeared.

I looked at the file, but am still not sure what I was seeing. Some sort of odd serially built information on the front end of each line (probably incrementing with time) followed by a bunch of binary that made no sense to me. Wasn't a normal Unix style time stamp, so not sure what it was.

I have one too. If first appeared when my TomTom XL 335S got updated with a new application (operating system?), in February. The application where the unit now has acquired 3 segments of information being displayed along the bottom of the screen (when in horizontal display mode) instead of the old 2 segments, and the turn arrow with the distance to the turn was moved from the left, to the middle.

It isn't awfully big so I'm just leaving it there. It seems to have been updated, when I updated by TomTom again, on Mar 6. It is now dated Mar 6 instead of Feb 28.

Last edited:
I see it now too. About 186K here at the moment. larger than the sample I received the other day.

Unless you want to waste some time, don't bother Googling cbee.cbee! :rolleyes:

I did and got nowhere (except for a few places I wish I hadn't!)
About the most interesting was the Cannabis Biomass Energy Equation.....:)

Haven't seen this file for some time now but after an update a couple of days ago it re-appeared. Deleting it doesn't seem to cause any problems with the device or its update though.

Still curious as to what it is/does!

I just updated my TomTom XL340TM today and I noticed the file. I was "asked" if I wanted to provide anonymous user data to TomTom when I started my device. I wonder if this is related to that?

I just updated my TomTom XL340TM today and I noticed the file. I was "asked" if I wanted to provide anonymous user data to TomTom when I started my device. I wonder if this is related to that?

You may well be right. I notice that if I delete it, it does reappear. I am surprised that nobody seems to be able to confirm what its purpose is though!

Ask a Question