Anyone with refurbished unit successful recently with LMG?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
I see some posts from the middle of last year from people who bought refurbished units and got the LMG. I don't see anything about a change in policy. I recently bought a refurbished unit from Amazon. When I called in to TomTom they first asked if I had new or refurbished. When I said refurbished, they told me, sorry but no map updates for you! When did the policy for updates on refurb units change?

BTW, I bought mine thinking it had a 90 day warranty, but the card inside said 6 months, so that's an improvement.

I bought one from radio shack on line in December and it came with a map update. No idea about the policy change.

Unfortunately, they changed their policy for NA refurbs about 2 months ago, I think.

You can try calling again and plead your case. The CS rep you get may be more agreeable. Good luck.

I just had a friend buy a 730 Refurb and I tried to get the map update for them but like others I was told if it didn't have the LMG card in the box there was no free update.
But when you look at the cost of the new sub map service and add that to the cost of you refurb you will come out with money in your pocket compaired to buying a new one.

I bought a refurbished GO 720 from radioshack.com on March 3, 2009. When I logged into the Home program it said I already had the latest map (wrong), then it said the latest map offer option had expired. It had come installed with the 7.15 North America maps.

Like many others, I called the support line and they asked me to scan my receipt, which I did. I uploaded it to my account and called back. I was lucky that my invoice didn't say refurbished on it. He asked me if it was refurbished and I said it wasn't. They asked me for my serial number (I was nervous about this because if it was refurbished they might have had it in a database or something). However he said it was alright and then he walked me through taking the old maps off (and backing them up in the process) and then I was able to download 8.25.

Even if it's refurbished, I'd give it a try. The worst they can say is no.

The 'key' in many cases is whether or not you have that "LMG" coupon in your box when you open it. Apparently from what others say here they quit putting them in a couple of months ago, which pretty much sux, although I'll have to say with the new "Auto-upgrade" program (purchasing 4 coming maps for $47.80 or $11.95 each) is inexpensive enough. If you don't already have 8.25, they just charge you $11.95 one more time to get up-to-date. :)

When I got my 720 refurb back around Christmas, they WERE still putting the slip/coupon for LMG in the box, and if you called and got a good person, they would just toss newest map into your online account. :p

One clue for those with more than one map: it will only offer you annual auto-upgrade for the map you are currently using, regardless of whether you have two or more. I travel to Europe a lot, and the Western/Central EU/2GB maps are $13.95 each = $55.80/year. :rolleyes:

I'd give it another shot either way, and bitch is you were stuck at 7.15, if they are still shipping refurb devices with that, it's because they were lazy, not because it wasn't available. (bitch lightly - they seem to respond better to people with a sincere problem as opposed to an attitude) ;)

I just purchased (03/08/2009) a refurbished Go 720 from Radioshack.com. I called TomTom and faxed the receipt, which clearly stated it was a refurbed unit, and they put the 8.25 map in my account. They made no mention of it being a refurbed unit. Radioshack.com is listed on the tomtom webiste as recognized (re)seller or tomtom equipment. Maybe this is the reason it was not a problem. For anyone interested, the unit was $149, looks unused, and works great.

Ask a Question