Anyone tried screen protection film?

I've purchased screen protectors for various items, usually preferring Invisible Shield material from www.shieldzone.com. I kinda hesitate putting a gloss shield over a 910's matt screen though. Has anyone had good or bad experience with screen protectors on Tomtoms?

I've kept the screen protector on that came with it out of the box. Though I do find that slowly peeling the plastic film off of new electronics is quite gratifying...I know it's strange.

My original plastic is still on as well...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that keeps the original plastic on as a temporary screen protector.

Screen Protectors do not damage the touch screen of units similar to the TT, such as my PDA, Ipod Nano, Nintendo DS Lite, etc etc. I apply those to everything, well... almost. Just the ones that are prone to finger touching the screens.

I've looked online for specific TT910 and found quite a few. I'm thinking of just going to Best Buy to pick up a PDA screen protector and custom cutting it with an exacto knife before applying. It'll take a little bit of time, but it should be fun!

Let me know what you guys find and go with.

Thanks!

Update on my experience with the Boxwave screens -- they fit perfect and are of high quality. However I'm not sure I'll keep them on because they reflect more light than just the standard screen, which is anti-reflective. You'll notice a bit more glare with the screen protector. Also most of the time I'll be using the remote to punch in commands.

... I'm not sure I'll keep them on because they reflect more light than just the standard screen, which is anti-reflective.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. Going from the matte screen to a more reflective film was what I was concerned about. I think I'll just be careful to keep the carry case handy and forego the film this time.

Here's another option - http://www.screenpatronus.com/ I just bought these for my ONE. Fit's great. I actually bought them off of ebay, he sells there quite a bit. Picked up 2 for $8.50. Excellent. I've bought others from him in the past for my Blackberry and PDAs. Work great and non-glare. I highly recommend them.

I use a box wave clear touch anti glare protector on my one. works well & I have had no problems.

I don't use screen protection on my ONE, but I have used boxwave products in the past on a palm tx and it's a very good product.

I've purchased screen protectors for various items, usually preferring Invisible Shield material from www.shieldzone.com. I kinda hesitate putting a gloss shield over a 910's matt screen though. Has anyone had good or bad experience with screen protectors on Tomtoms?

On my Go Classic I had a screen protector from Brando Workshop. It worked great for 1.5 to 2 years. Problems started suddenly when I would be driving and all of the sudden my screen would start cycling thru the menus. I'd touch the screen and it would stop. It would do this intermittently. I called support and they suggested my screen was bad, but that the device was out of warranty and that I should by a 300 or 700. I didn't have the cash at the time so I was stuck with the issue. Anyway one day when the issue was happening, I pulled of an exit and removed the screen protector and the problem has never resurfaced.

I don't know if it had some dust or something that was causing it to touch the screen. But today because of the remote with the 910 I don't touch the screen very much so I'm going to skip the screen protection.

My .02

I got a pack of 10 from the local office supply store for $10. It works perfect... beware of the bubbles!!! take your time putting it on. :)

I got mine protected using radioshack version.
had to cut it into the right size and all..
but it looks fine.
doesn't have much glare
infact, I don't even notice it is on it.
give me some assurance that I can press little harder on the screen and
not make a mess :D

ExpertShield has one

for the TomTom One and the 910.
I've used their product for my PSP and I really like it.
Installs easily and there are no trapped bubbles at all.

Have one on order, should be here next week.
Will post reviews once I get it (pix too, if anyone is interested).

yes, macro close-ups would be awesome. BTW, I went to Futureshop and they have Palm PDA film for $29.99 - 10 sheets, I think, but...ouch!

I am using a screen protector from here: http://www.screenpatronus.com/screen-protector-indash.html

I left my factory cover on until I got one. Mine has never been unprotected.

Perfect fit and works fine. No operational problems. As glare resistant as you are going to get on this type of device.

I have been using screen protectors for years on digital camera LCD's and other devices.

My advice to anyone with a GPS is to get a screen protector from somewhere and use it!

Sooner or later you are going to get a scratch, or even a smear that won't come off. Looks bad and ruins your resale value.

Just get it!!!!

Randy R.

Ask a Question