Anyone paired a T-Mobile BlackBerry 8900 Curve with a GO720?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I know it's not on the supported phone list, but I love the phone so much I hate to give it up just because I'm having trouble pairing it.

The BlackBerry recognizes the TomTom, but not vice versa. If anyone has done this successfully I'm wondering how? The BlackBerry asks for a PIN to the TomTom, but I don't use one, so I entered "0000" as I assume this is the default PIN.

Any suggestions?

Good News :)

Even though it's not officially supported, the BlackBerry 8900 Curve (T-Mobile version) will pair with a GO 720.

Turns out you have to let the TomTom detect the BlackBerry and not vice versa. I placed the BlackBerry in "Listen" mode instead of "Search" mode and then had my GO 720 search for a new phone; it found the BlackBerry 8900 immediately and advised it's voice, SMS and data compatible (although I have yet to test the features).

Just curious... also have a TMo BB 8900.

Have you gotten data connections working?

I DID get the two paired, the address book copied over with PHONE NUMBERS only, no names.... LOL

It worked, but the data connection was a little more elusive.... now, granted, I wasn't willing to invest 3 days to figure this out, as it is not that important to me. I did go thru the provider list and selected all of the BBs on the list (one by one) thinking that one of them may be close enough to get it all working, but, no dice.

IF ya got it working, I am sure that "8900 vs TT" tutorial would be a popular post...

DId you check for assistance at Crackberry forums... it is a great BB forum. May be some wisdom over there specific to BB eccentricities...

Try choosing the 8800 as the phone, and then choose tmobile (I) as your carrier.

Does that work?

Just curious... also have a TMo BB 8900.

Have you gotten data connections working?

I DID get the two paired, the address book copied over with PHONE NUMBERS only, no names.... LOL

It worked, but the data connection was a little more elusive.... now, granted, I wasn't willing to invest 3 days to figure this out, as it is not that important to me. I did go thru the provider list and selected all of the BBs on the list (one by one) thinking that one of them may be close enough to get it all working, but, no dice.

IF ya got it working, I am sure that "8900 vs TT" tutorial would be a popular post...

DId you check for assistance at Crackberry forums... it is a great BB forum. May be some wisdom over there specific to BB eccentricities...

Sorry,

I haven't tried setting up the data connection. This is my first smart phone, so I'm thinking it will take until about January just to figure out how to work it :)

I have been to CrackBerry and found no specific posts on pairing the 8900 to a TomTom, as I assume most BB users use the built in GPS; However, there is a thread on this form dedicated to what phones will and won't work with TomToms

This thread may also help in setting up the data connection. Because I use traffic through the antenna, I'm not even going to play with the data connection settings until I figure out how to do more than just make a call on the BB :)

Hopefully future NavCore updates will start supporting data transmission on the 8900 as it's qiuckly becoming Research In Motion's hottest phone because it's insanely fast (5x faster than my first PC back in 1995). It's just too bad t-Mobile's version isn't 3G :(

I have an 8900 on Rogers. Pairing work perfect and phone book transferred ok. The data worked until I connected to my office BES. It look like my company's group policies prohibit data transfer by bluetooth.

I used the 8800 profile.

Grumpy_Areo_Guy,

Did you even get a data connection with your 8900; and if so, how?

I just finished Fall semester and have started tackling the issue with no success yet.

I'm able to pair my 8900 and 720 easily. But getting data to work is another question. I've tried using the 8800 with all the T-Mobile choices but couldn't get it to work either...

Anyone else have any luck?

I did find a link for t-mobile developers that provides information on how to connect other devices to T-Mobile's EDGE Network.

I've tried manually configuring using access point names for T-Mobile Internet, T-Mobile Internet VPN and T-Mobile G-1, without using a username or password and leaving the default GPRS dialup number.

So far no luck, I'm guessing we may need usernames and passwords, as I assume T-Mobile doesn't let just anyone tap into their EDGE Network.

I'll keep trying and post if I find a way to pair an 8900 with T-Mobile's EDGE Network.

Sorry to say, never did get data working (must admit, wasn't motivated to spend hours on it).

I did get it paired. I must admit, I don't have a huge need to have the phone interface working with TT. I don't use the TT in my car every day. Generally, only when going out of town or somewhere totally unfamiliar.

I played around with a bunch of settings after the holidays and was never able to pair data services with my TomTom.

To my knowledge, AT&T is the only US carrier currently with a network that supports data and voice transmission at the same time; so, even if I did, I'd have to pick between using the TomTom's data services or being able to make or receive phone calls.

In all honesty, neither is a concern for me, as I rarely make or take calls while driving and have opted for the less expensive RDS-TMC antenna for my traffic updates; however, I'm sure there are a lot of people who want Traffic Plus, and call capabilities at the same time.

So I don't have to lug my TomTom around everywhere I go, I'm trying Garmin Mobile on my BlackBerry and have been pleased with the results. Although, I don't like having to enter a complete address, I do like that the Garmin application actually tells me what side of the street my destination is on.

The major Pro to Garmin Mobile is that it only costs $99 USD to navigate in the US and Canada for the life of the phone ($120 USD to navigate Europe); less than the cost of a year's worth of map updates and a traffic subscription on the TomTom.

Although this price is not transferable to a new phone, I usually keep my phones for at least four to five years, so, $99 USD is not a bad price to pay, considering it includes a constantly updated map, free traffic, free weather and more.

The major Con to Garmin Mobile (at least for the BlackBerry) is that it won't let you store maps on an SD Card, so if you lose your data or GPS signals, you lose your turn-by-turn directions.

So for now, I plan to use Garmin Mobile in urban areas where I won't lose my data signal (and spend 99% of my time) and use my TomTom if I ever travel into a rural area; where I'm lucky if I can get a voice signal, let alone a data signal using T-Mobile's GSM network.

I highly recommend anyone with a BlackBerry download the free trail and see for themselves.

Even better, if anyone is willing to also buy soon, Handango is offering Garmin Mobile (and a bunch of other applications) for 25% off through the end of this month.

I do recommend downloading the trial first and making sure your phone can acquire Garmin's satellite signals. It took my phone 10 minutes to acquire a signal the first time, but I haven't had troubles with it since.

I'll post a better review of Garmin Mobile versus TomTom, after I've used it more; I especially want to see what Garmin Mobile does (or does not) do when driving through downtown Minneapolis, as to my understanding, tall buildings are notorious for blocking GPS signals.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, AT&T is the only US carrier currently with a network that supports data and voice transmission at the same time; so, even if I did, I'd have to pick between using the TomTom's data services or being able to make or receive phone calls.

All GSM 3G providers allow voice and data at the same time.

I don't know what specific blackberry you have, but if it can do T-mobile's flavor of 3G than you can do simultaneous voice/data. I had no problems with a Tomtom and a 3G Nokia 6263 doing voice and data, until Tmobile banned non-smartphones from tethering (at which point I switched to AT&T).

All GSM 3G providers allow voice and data at the same time.

I don't know what specific blackberry you have, but if it can do T-mobile's flavor of 3G than you can do simultaneous voice/data. I had no problems with a Tomtom and a 3G Nokia 6263 doing voice and data, until Tmobile banned non-smartphones from tethering (at which point I switched to AT&T).

I chose T-Mobile's BlackBerry 8900 Curve, which works off their EDGE network. I would have picked a 3G capable smartphone, but because I spend most of my time with free Wi-Fi, it seems like a better choice to have purchased a UMA phone.

I love T-Mobile's UMA phones because I can talk for free and download data at Wi-Fi speeds.

Ask a Question