Anyone Mounted a TomTom In-Dash?

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
I know, the subject may seem silly because if you wanted an in-dash nav system, you would've purchased it with your car, right? Well, I don't like the in-dash systems as much as I like the GO700, so I went with an aftermarket AIO to get the TomTom interface and portable functionality.

Anyway, with the preface out of the way, what I was wonder if anyone has done an in-dash mounting of their TomTom? I own a 2005 Toyota Sienna that is maxed out trimline wise except for the in-dash nav (see above for why). I was looking long and hard at one of my center console vents as a place to mount my GO700 in-dash, as I could just divert the righthand vent to the lefthand vent (they share the same duct), install a mount, and then build some sort of pretty frame on a hinge or something that give it that nice built-in look but still allows me access to remove the GO700 for use in another car, etc.

This is what the dash looks like (except mine has a 6-disc CD changer and tuner in place of the nav unit):

Siennadash.jpg

Siennadashzoom.jpg

That righthand vent is the perfect size and there's even more room behind the vent. Definitely wouldn't have to worry about the TomTom getting so hot like it does in the windshield, eh? ;)

Anyone done this or I would I be an idiot first?

Thanks for that link! Now that is a tempting solution. My Sienna has a center channel speaker (yes, surround sound audio in the car :rolleyes: ), that I could easily remove the speaker and then fabricate a replacement for the grill (which is top/center fo the dash right above the headunit in the previous pictures) and do the same type of mount mod that this guy did. Hmmmm....

Would definitely be a lot less intrusive than modding one of the vents....tempting....tempting....

Ask a Question