Any "windows explorer" (file browser) available out there?

I thought Tomtom uses some kind of Linux based OS.
That is correct.

Can I use Total Commander on it?
No. Total Commander is a typical Win32 application. Your TomTom uses Linux and a processor very different from the x86/x64 family used in your computer(s).

PS Your initial message was ambiguous: I thought you were simply looking for a file manager (and, yes, I too think Total Commander is the best - been using it since 1996!)

total commander works just fine with most tomtom models. not sure about a pocket pc though. I use it all the time for backups, moving various maps around. anything you want to do file manager wise with the tomtom can be done. doesn't matter that the tomtom is linux. total commander can see and read any file.

Last edited:
total commander works just fine with most tomtom models. not sure about a pocket pc though. I use it all the time for backups, moving various maps around. anything you want to do file manager wise with the tomtom can be done. doesn't matter that the tomtom is linux. total commander can see and read any file.
You misunderstand. Apparently, the OP wanted to install/run Total Commander on the GPS - and there's where it matters that a) the device has another operating system; and b) another architecture.
If one installs TC on Windows, it will work fine not with most TomTom models, but with all of them - in fact, it will work with any device presenting a file system that Windows can read.

PS The PocketPC version is, well, for PocketPCs - i.e. a completely different beast: even though it's called Windows Mobile, their operating system is not the same thing with Windows (it only originates from the same company, Microsoft), not to mention their specific architecture, which differs from x86/x64 and TomTom's.

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only TotalCommander user here! I already mentioned it in a couple of messages. I've been using it for around 10 years if not longer.

I use PowerDesk myself. At this point, I don't even know if I could use Windows Explorer, anymore. :)

I use PowerDesk myself. At this point, I don't even know if I could use Windows Explorer, anymore. :)

Although not familiar with PowerDesk, I've never used Windows Explorer and always have used a TC similar product under DOS and OS/2. I started using TotalCommander when I started using NT4, when CD burning started, because there were no similar capable burning sw under OS/2 and Nero was just then available... If I am going somewhere to help someone with his computer, I always bring a copy of TotalCommander with me. I'm so used to it, my fingers just follow my mind on the keyboard.

Ask a Question