Any way to set up auto on/off?

I am looking to do a custom, permanent, install onto my motorcycle but I have run into some issues. What I was going to do was hardwire (into say the headlight or turn signal)it to the bike as and disconnect the battery, so that when the bike goes off so does the TomTom. For the most part this would be fine except that if I am on a route and the power is lost so is the route.

But if I were to hard wire it to the bikes battery it would be on all the time. While I could, of course turn it on/off as needed i'm looking for something that is a little less maintenance. Plus I wouldn't want it to drain my battery if I forgot to turn it off and didn't ride for a few days.

So what I am looking to do is hardwire it to the bikes battery, with the internal battery intact, AND have it start up and power down properly when the bike is turned on/off (basically when external power is applied or removed). I'm not sure if there is something I can build to solder up to the power switch for that. It would be pretty easy I think but while powering down only requires a quick tap of the power button, to power on you need to hold the power button down for a good second or two.

Any ideas?

This is the 3 or 4th person i have seen ask this in the last few days

I would love this option as well

Does anyone know a way we could start a formal petition?

This is the 3 or 4th person i have seen ask this in the last few days

I would love this option as well

Does anyone know a way we could start a formal petition?

When I searched I read what the other people were saying. All that I saw was a software option, which of course would be great. My question is if anyone knows of any hardware hacks that could take the place of the power switch.

I am looking to do a custom, permanent, install onto my motorcycle but I have run into some issues. What I was going to do was hardwire (into say the headlight or turn signal)it to the bike as and disconnect the battery, so that when the bike goes off so does the TomTom. For the most part this would be fine except that if I am on a route and the power is lost so is the route.

But if I were to hard wire it to the bikes battery it would be on all the time. While I could, of course turn it on/off as needed i'm looking for something that is a little less maintenance. Plus I wouldn't want it to drain my battery if I forgot to turn it off and didn't ride for a few days.

So what I am looking to do is hardwire it to the bikes battery, with the internal battery intact, AND have it start up and power down properly when the bike is turned on/off (basically when external power is applied or removed). I'm not sure if there is something I can build to solder up to the power switch for that. It would be pretty easy I think but while powering down only requires a quick tap of the power button, to power on you need to hold the power button down for a good second or two.

Any ideas?

Is the bigger question not...why are you losing the route when the device powers off? On my old TT One 2nd Edition, there is an option to select that you want it to retain the current route when powered off. Does that not solve THAT specific issue? <Change Preferences>, go to Menu 6 of 7, then select <Startup preferences> and enable the "Continue where I left off" option.

PS I have the TT1 mounted with RAM mount and a permanent waterproof cigarette power socket from Walmart, on my KLR650. I have wired the socket with a 2-way switch to (1) either remain on all the time when the switch is down, or (2) in "normal" mode, to switch the socket on only when the key is switched on in the ignition.

I have my TT configured to retain the route when power down, so with the auto switch-off enabled, I only have to remember to switch the TT on, and it takes up the route info and continues exactly where it was.....so no problem at all.

Last edited:
Is the bigger question not...why are you losing the route when the device powers off? On my old TT One 2nd Edition, there is an option to select that you want it to retain the current route when powered off. Does that not solve THAT specific issue? <Change Preferences>, go to Menu 6 of 7, then select <Startup preferences> and enable the "Continue where I left off" option.

PS I have the TT1 mounted with RAM mount and a permanent waterproof cigarette power socket from Walmart, on my KLR650. I have wired the socket with a 2-way switch to (1) either remain on all the time when the switch is down, or (2) in "normal" mode, to switch the socket on only when the key is switched on in the ignition.

I have my TT configured to retain the route when power down, so with the auto switch-off enabled, I only have to remember to switch the TT on, and it takes up the route info and continues exactly where it was.....so no problem at all.

Thanks, i'll try that.

I have a TT ONE on my bike, and it powers off with the bike (after a number of seconds)
Powering on takes pressing the button for a few seconds. Works for me. Never lose any info.

BTW, why remove the battery??

I have a TT ONE on my bike, and it powers off with the bike (after a number of seconds)
Powering on takes pressing the button for a few seconds. Works for me. Never lose any info.

BTW, why remove the battery??

That's all I need to do. Where is that setting? What version TT do you have?

Ask a Question