Any way to edit Speed Limit Alerts on the XL 340-S ?

I currently own a Navigon 2100Max that has a neat feature where you can choose how many miles over the official speed limit should it generate an alert. I typically set it for 9 miles ... and that works great ... so I can do 63 on a 55 and not have to worry.

I just received the TomTom XL 340-S and all I can see is a setting for alert when you exceed the official limit. That's pretty useless.

Is there any way I can make the TomTom behave like the Navigon ? Can I edit any XML or config file to make it work like the Navigon ?

Different models have different applications and functionalities.....

With my 720, safety preference, I have 'Warn when driving faster than allowed' (which you referred to) and, as well, 'Warn when driving faster than a set speed'.......and then you get to pick how much faster than the set speed you want the warning for.

Thanks.

I decided to return the unit. Remarkably my two year old Navigon (2100Max) is still a better GPS. The customizable speed-limit warning and the life-time traffic (I paid all of $99 for it) remains a killer deal.

The Navigon showed speed limits for most streets ... whereas the TomTom only had data for major roadways.

I use my GPS all the time ... primarily because of the speed limit warning feature. There have been tons of times I have been chatting with a passenger and the speed limit changes ... the Navigon has come to the rescue.

The Navigon does not Canada maps ... I need to pay for that.

The TomTom has maps for Canada ... if they would let me customize the speed limit alert ... I would have kept it. :(

Different models have different applications and functionalities.....

With my 720, safety preference, I have 'Warn when driving faster than allowed' (which you referred to) and, as well, 'Warn when driving faster than a set speed'.......and then you get to pick how much faster than the set speed you want the warning for.

On the XL 340 .. .there are two settings. 1) Alert if you exceed the official limit 2) Alert if you exceed a specific speed limit.

Both are useless in the real world since most of us typically drive X+ miles over the speed limit. So as the speed limit changes the GPS should change the point at which it alerts the driver.

Both are useless in the real world since most of us typically drive X+ miles over the speed limit. So as the speed limit changes the GPS should change the point at which it alerts the driver.

i don't understand. how is the GPS supposed to know that the speed limit is X but you want to drive at X+ so don't warn me until i'm going X++ over? is that what you're suggesting? maybe a table...on 70 mph roads warn me at 80; on 65 mph roads warn me at 75, etc.

i don't understand. how is the GPS supposed to know that the speed limit is X but you want to drive at X+ so don't warn me until i'm going X++ over? is that what you're suggesting? maybe a table...on 70 mph roads warn me at 80; on 65 mph roads warn me at 75, etc.

Both the Navigon and the TomTom has data for official speed limits (Navigon has info for minor roads as well).

On the Navigon there is a setting that says something like this ... "Alert at how many miles over the speed limit ?"

I set it to 8 miles .. which tells the Navigon that if the speed limit on the road I am on is 55 mph ... it will alert me when I hit 63 mph. If the speed limit is 70 mph ... it will alert me at 78 mph. All this is done seamlessly as you transition from one speed zone to another. Pretty cool.

TomTom does not have such a feature.

Ask a Question