any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Xl Australia
G-Day,
My name is Dave and i could really use some help please.

Below is where me and Mattd D from tom tom are up to can any body jump in and help please.
I think the real problem is that i can not delete the %appdata% Tom Tom file and can not remove the protection that allow me to delete it.
I think once i get rid of the appdata file i have i can then down load from Tom Tom home and this should solve the current problem?

P.S this is the first time i have used any forum so if i have shown ignorance or offence....sorry

Kind regards
Dave3625

Subject
Reinstall TomTom HOME

Discussion Thread
Response (Matthew D. (AU)) 01/12/2009 10.41 PM
Dear Mr ,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care

The reference number for your query is 091127-051520.

Please can you confirm that TomTom HOME had been shut down completely (i.e right click and select "exit" on the TomTom symbol down by the clock) before you tried to delete the TomTom folder?

With Kind Regards

Matt D

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Should you wish to reply to this email, please log in to your TomTom account via TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.
Click on ?My TomTom? in the top right -> ?My Questions History', click on 091127-051520 then scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Update Question'.
You can also attach documents that you wish to send to us by clicking on 'Browse'. You can then find the document you wish to attach and click on 'Add Attachment'.

Alternatively, you can call us on one of the numbers below:
United Kingdom 08451610009 Mon - Fri: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. GMT
Republic of Ireland 01890812008 Mon - Fri: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. GMT
South Africa 0800980670 Mon - Fri: 9:00 to 19:30 CET
Our contact details are on TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product
Customer (david saxberg) 28/11/2009 06.35 PM
Hi Matt,
attachment is what showing up when i try to delete,
Customer (david saxberg) 28/11/2009 08.57 AM
Hi Matt D,
Thank you very much the best walk through i have every had....very well explained!

I am loged on as the admin, Ok

%appdata% tom tom file would not deleat-said it was in use by another program? - nothing else is running? Tom tom is Not pluged in
%temp% file was cleared. ok ( there was heaps of old stuff hiding in there?)
My documents file- renaming Tom tom to tomtom old -would not allow said it was in use by another person or programe?

defrag c drive. ok (cleaned that sucker up heaps)

try to turn off the DEP thingy- said my system does not run them - yes its a very old computer?
Response (Matthew D. (AU)) 28/11/2009 01.17 AM
Dear Mr saxberg,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care in regards to installing TomTom HOME on your computer.
The reference number for your query is 091127-051520.

If you are having trouble installing TomTom HOME using Windows, please work through the following email.

If you have any trouble along the way, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you further.

STEP 1 Admin Rights

Please can you make sure that you are logged onto Windows as the administrator?
You can check this by going to Start->Control Panel->User Accounts.

STEP 2 Firewalls

Configure any firewalls to allow TomTom Home to connect to the Internet. Also ensure that you are not on a work network that is restricted in some way e.g. router, proxy or servers.

- Do you have a firewall? Please ensure that the firewall is configured to allow TomTom Home to connect to the Internet
- Are you on a work network? Ideally, you should be on a Home network. A Work network may be restricted in some way as mentioned above.
- Are you behind a proxy? You can configure TomTom Home to connect via a proxy. Click on Tools->TomTom Preferences. Click on the Connection tab and enter the proxy settings here.
- Do you use a wireless internet connection? If so, please connect to your router with a network cable.

STEP 3 Reinstall HOME

- Uninstall TomTom Home (Start->Programs->TomTom)
- Once the uninstallation is complete, click on Start->Run (Or Hold the windows Key and tap R), in the search box that appears, type %appdata%
- At the top of the window, click Tools -> Folder options -> View, and tick the option for 'Show hidden file and folders'
- In the window that appears, delete the 'TomTom' folder
- Open c:\program files and delete the folder called 'TomTom Home 2'.
- Click on Start, in the search box that appears, type %temp%, delete everything here.
- Go to My Documents and rename the 'TomTom' folder to 'TomTomOld'. This just moves it out of the way so that Home can install cleanly.
- Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools
- Do a disk cleanup of the C drive, select all options that appear and proceed with the cleanup
- Use the disk defragmenter to defragment the C drive.

Now can you please go to TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems and download TomTom HOME. When you are asked to Run, Save or Cancel, please save the file to your desktop.

Once the download is complete, right click on the TomTom HOME file and select ?Run as Administrator?

If HOME failed to start correctly, please disable the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows. This is a security feature that prevents data execution and thus, it may prevent the application to start correctly. Find out more by clicking START -> ''Help and Support'' in Windows.

Please let me know if TomTom HOME is now working for you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With Kind Regards

Matt D

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Should you wish to reply to this email, please log in to your TomTom account via TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.
Click on ?My TomTom? in the top right -> ?My Questions History', click on 091127-051520 then scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Update Question'.
You can also attach documents that you wish to send to us by clicking on 'Browse'. You can then find the document you wish to attach and click on 'Add Attachment'.
Customer (david saxberg) 27/11/2009 09.17 PM
My Tom tom home programe is not working, i have reinstall several time from tomtom/home but not working, it will not load?
Auto-Response 27/11/2009 09.17 PM

Question Reference #091127-051520
Product Level 1: Car Navigation
Product Level 2: TomTom XL 30 Series
Category Level 1: Technical support
Date Created: 27/11/2009 09.17 PM
Last Updated: 01/12/2009 10.41 PM
Operating system PC: Windows XP
App version:

help

Hey Dave, I too work at tomtom and know matt. the %appdata% should be deleted but doesnt need to be. as long as you uninstall tom tom home and delete the tom tom folder from my document (windows) or in the applications (Mac) you should be all set. what this will do is it will trick tom tom home into thinking that you have never ran it before and acts like the first time.

Hope this helps, sorry its a lil late

I never let a new OS or HOME being installed through HOME.
I always download to a folder and then, off line I install from there (old habits).

Example, when I had problems with the remote and the phone book with 8.351 I reverted, upon advise in this forum, to 8.302, which was of course in my download folder.
I just installed it, without deleting the current version.

Omg

Well it wont happen over night ... but it did,
I have now got the home thingy working :), Thanks to Matt D & the unknown work mate.

I also took the good advice from Arno... it takes a while to form old habits.. Iam still young and silly, that why i brought a tom tom cause i kept getting lost, by charging about the place.

I dont intend to drop this forum as most woud think - he has the answer and will dissapear?
Not unless the Tom Tom gets me lost... Ha ha...

Thanks.
Ps i will keep my post shorter from now on.

Thanks Again... now going out to get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question