Any News on Firmware Upgrade / Fixes

TomTom Model(s)
Getting ready to return TT920, reluctantly. I haven't heard anything about a firmware upgrade that will correct some of the known issues. Examples include not being able to locate addresses with alpha+numeric street numbers. Also needing to know the City before you can put in a Street name.

These things are driving me nuts!

Do we know if a fix is coming anytime soon for the 920 or are these corrections going to be made in the 930 or whatever the follow-on is going to be?:eek:

That's a good question. Even the current 910 firmware is messed up. I used to use the handsfree calling but a recent update has screwed up the audio so bad my callers can't hear me. That update also killed the ability to play the calls through the car stereo. In some ways they took a big step backwards. It would be nice to get that stuff working again.

Getting ready to return TT920, reluctantly. I haven't heard anything about a firmware upgrade that will correct some of the known issues. Examples include not being able to locate addresses with alpha+numeric street numbers. Also needing to know the City before you can put in a Street name.

These things are driving me nuts!

Do we know if a fix is coming anytime soon for the 920 or are these corrections going to be made in the 930 or whatever the follow-on is going to be?:eek:

One thing to rely on when dealing with firmware updates from any company - do NOT EXPECT IT!!!!

So, if you have a time limit for a return and don't like the features - return it during your window.

I would suggest for everyones' sake - call TT support and/or email them and tell them why you are returning it. It lacks an essential feature that makes it useless in some US States. If enough people act, they may get the message.

One thing to rely on when dealing with firmware updates from any company - do NOT EXPECT IT!!!!

So, if you have a time limit for a return and don't like the features - return it during your window.

I would suggest for everyones' sake - call TT support and/or email them and tell them why you are returning it. It lacks an essential feature that makes it useless in some US States. If enough people act, they may get the message.

Which US states apart from Hawaii?

Which US states apart from Hawaii?

Hawaii is a problem, but I rarely go there :( . There are many states that use some combination of ##A### like 55W133 as an example. We see this a lot in IL, WI and many other places.

You will note that with non-TT units, when you get to the address street number, the input keys include numeric, alpha, and special character input. But TT only provides the numeric keyboard. So it's pretty hard to find some addresses on a TT. Interestingly, though, the address for POI's do include these address formats. Examples:

28W241 Warrenville Rd, Warrenville, IL
2S610 State Route 59, Warrenville, IL

Note the letters "W" and "S" in the street numbers, above. These happen to be pizza parlors, but residential addresses also take this form.

It's hard to say, but there could be a million addys in this format.

With the Magellan 4250 @ $249, I had no choice but pick one up last night. Someone said we should email TT. Why? They already know about the problem and are not responding fast enough to the market. When I called them about this problem originally, the Support tech recommended buy a Garmin or Magellan. Really! No kidding! So I am just taking their advice.

Also, when you actually use the Magellan you find that it has some very nice features that TT doesn't have. I will truly miss the CDMA Traffic on the TT. What a great idea that is... it's revolutionary, but there are other ways to get traffic.

I have some time before the 920 has to go back. So maybe I'll get an answer to my original question. Considering the profit on these little gizmos I'd think that someone would be able to tell us when this will be fixed

Hawaii is a problem, but I rarely go there :( . There are many states that use some combination of ##A### like 55W133 as an example. We see this a lot in IL, WI and many other places.

You will note that with non-TT units, when you get to the address street number, the input keys include numeric, alpha, and special character input. But TT only provides the numeric keyboard. So it's pretty hard to find some addresses on a TT. Interestingly, though, the address for POI's do include these address formats. Examples:

28W241 Warrenville Rd, Warrenville, IL
2S610 State Route 59, Warrenville, IL

Note the letters "W" and "S" in the street numbers, above. These happen to be pizza parlors, but residential addresses also take this form.

It's hard to say, but there could be a million addys in this format.

With the Magellan 4250 @ $249, I had no choice but pick one up last night. Someone said we should email TT. Why? They already know about the problem and are not responding fast enough to the market. When I called them about this problem originally, the Support tech recommended buy a Garmin or Magellan. Really! No kidding! So I am just taking their advice.

Also, when you actually use the Magellan you find that it has some very nice features that TT doesn't have. I will truly miss the CDMA Traffic on the TT. What a great idea that is... it's revolutionary, but there are other ways to get traffic.

I have some time before the 920 has to go back. So maybe I'll get an answer to my original question. Considering the profit on these little gizmos I'd think that someone would be able to tell us when this will be fixed

As far as I know, Hawaii is the only place where this is a huge problem. I agree that it exists other places, but to say its unusable in several states is a stretch! I agree that TT is way to slow in addressing this problem and I would like to see them adjust the street search function as well. I had an addy in Queens NY with a dash and I ignored the dash and found the destination, no problem.

That Maggie is a good unit at a great price, no arguments there. Nice and slender, plus feature rich. What is the quality of the TTS voice like, is it tinny? Also, do you have power switch problems with it?

As far as I know, Hawaii is the only place where this is a huge problem. I agree that it exists other places, but to say its unusable in several states is a stretch! I agree that TT is way to slow in addressing this problem and I would like to see them adjust the street search function as well. I had an addy in Queens NY with a dash and I ignored the dash and found the destination, no problem.

That Maggie is a good unit at a great price, no arguments there. Nice and slender, plus feature rich. What is the quality of the TTS voice like, is it tinny? Also, do you have power switch problems with it?

Well, I sort of agree with you. I wouldn't say that TT920 is unusable in these states. I would say that on the 5 ocassions I have had to try to find places with mixed alphanumeric street numbers, the product has been useless. So I am not feeling good about having spent nearly twice as much on a 920 as the 4250. I am up in the air about joining AAA to get the Tourbook Updates on the Maggie.

I am not bothered at all by the Maggie voice... I think some people are sensitive to the voice from some reviews, but it sounds fine to me. I also like the "ding" reminder just before a turn.

All in all, though, I would prefer the TT for the fact that it has CDMA traffic which is just wonderful... sigh

I have had no problems with the Power Switch on the Maggie, in fact I see it's behavior as a feature. On a couple non Maggie units that I have the power has turned on when the device was in transit in by briefcase, running down the battery. That is nearly impossible to do on the Maggie. I haven't had that problem with the 920, but the cases that I use have a lot to do with that, I think.

From Wikipedia - there are quite a few situations that TT needs to address in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_numbering

United States of America
In much of North America, buildings are not numbered according to a simple sequence but rather according to distance from a given baseline. As a result, four- and five-digit addresses are common. Odd numbers are typically on one side of the street, evens on the other. In New England and the New York Metropolitan Area, however, a simple sequence is used much like that in European cities.

In cities with a grid plan of streets, addresses often increase by 100 for each cross street. Addresses may also correlate with a street-numbering system. Thus, in Cleveland, Ohio, a building with the address 900 Euclid Avenue would be at the corner of Euclid Avenue and 9th Street.

In San Francisco, parallel streets will sometimes be numbered in opposite directions. As an example, Broderick Street numbers ascend from south to north, while Masonic Avenue, just three blocks away, ascends from north to south.

Along the Overseas Highway in the Florida Keys, house numbers indicate their distance from Mile Marker 0 in Key West. The mileage is found by dividing the house number by one thousand (for example, 77220 Overseas Highway is 77.2 miles from Mile Marker 0).

Buildings in many rural areas in the United States used to lack these kind of addresses. Instead, an old rural address might have been simply "Rural route 3, Box 15." However, the adoption of 9-1-1 emergency systems has required the adoption of street names and house numbers in rural areas.

In areas of rural Wisconsin, the address layout of many counties features a baseline in one corner of the county, with numbers increasing from that point and appended with a cardinal direction; for instance, an address on an north-south road 45 blocks north from the baseline is written as 'N4500', while an address 45 blocks west from the baseline on a east-west road is shown as 'W4500'. Some counties and suburban communities (such as Waukesha and the Town and City of Cedarburg) use a two-part address for both directions for easier referencing within a map and the numbering system (N4500-W4500 for instance).

Carmel-by-the-Sea, California lacks any house numbering whatsoever. Houses are referred to, instead, as (for example) "Junipero 3 SW of 10th", meaning "The third house on the west side of Junipero south of 10th."

[edit] Block numbers

Example of a street sign indicating the block number.Block numbers are a system of assigning numbers based on distance rather than strictly sequentially. Typically, each block is assigned 100 numbers, such that the building numbers on that block vary only in the two least significant digits. For example, in Washington, D.C., the block of 7th Street, N.W., between D and E streets, N.W., is designated as the 400 block, meaning that building numbers on that block are in the range from 400 to 499 inclusive. It is common to indicate block numbers on street signs.

Some localities, such as the Borough of Queens in New York City, use a block numbering system in which a hyphen separates the hundreds digit from the tens digit. For example, a building number that might elsewhere be written 16709 is instead written 167-09. In most cases, the first number refers to the street, avenue, drive, etc. where the numbering begins. For example 99-40 63rd Road is numbered because the starting point was 99th Street. Likewise, an address on a perpendicular block would have its number starting with 63-XX. In Queens, unlike other areas, such as Los Angeles, where one may see numbers such as 16700 Sunset Blvd., for example, rarely is the 00 number used to refer to an address, but rather the numbering starts at -01 or -02 depending on the side of the block.

Some localities in Utah and Wisconsin have a more elaborate system of block numbering.[1][2] Such localities use compound block numbers to indicate the number of blocks from both the north-south and the east-west dividing lines. For example, an address in Utah might be of the form "226 N 3300 W" where other systems might use "226 33rd Ave NW". Such an address is in the northwest quadrant of the addressing system. Another system, used in Wisconsin, might use "N112 W16709 Mequon Rd" rather than "16709 W. Mequon Rd". This numbering system is based on the southeast corner of each county and is based on a grid that will increase when traveling in a northerly or westerly direction using N and W, respectively.[3] In Illinois, specifically in the Collar Counties surrounding Chicago, addresses in unincorporated and newly annexed areas are given according to their placement in a 1-square-mile quadrant relative to downtown Chicago. North-south streets use an address number beginning in N or S, and east-west streets use an address number beginning in W. The three-digit unique number that follows is assigned according to distance from the beginning of the quadrant. For example, "30W221 Butterfield Road" is in Naperville, 30 miles west of downtown Chicago.

Ask a Question