Another SD Question

Hi guys just joined the forum,

I searched but couldnt find any information on this.

I have a 2 gig sd card in my tt720, but I cant seem to find the sd card with my mp3s when I use the TT. Does anybody know where its located?

The 720 will play mp3 on a sd card BUT the mp3's must reside in a folder called mp3 (all lower case).

For some reason mine wont detect it, I have all the files under the folder mp3 which is also in a folder called simcard and it does not show up. But if I put all the mp3s into the internal hd folder mp3, it stores all the mp3s in the internal hd that I dont want. Help

What do you mean the mp3 folder is in another folder called simcard? It won't work if the mp3 folder is not in the root of the sd card. Just use Explorer, direct it to the sd card, make a folder called mp3 and put the individual mp3 files in it.

What do you mean the mp3 folder is in another folder called simcard? It won't work if the mp3 folder is not in the root of the sd card. Just use Explorer, direct it to the sd card, make a folder called mp3 and put the individual mp3 files in it.

hmm direct it to the sd card? Maybe my computer isnt detecting the sd card because I dont have that option.

untitled.jpg

Ok if you look at this picture, there was an mp3 folder in here but I deleted it because if I put music in there, it automatically saves it to the harddrive of the TT. Where I pointed the arrow, I put a new folder in there "mp3" and put all the music in there but my TT was detect it.

The mp3 folder goes in the root of the unit, so that if you were to do another screenshot, you'd see a mp3 folder just as you now see a art folder, an asr folder, etc. Put the files in the mp3 folder (all lower case, no quotes). You do NOT need or want a folder called simcard.

What kind of 2 gig sd card do you have? It should probably a sdhc card. It should be already formatted as fat32. If it isn't, do so with the sd card in the unit. Format it with Explorer. Make sure you are formatting the sd card and NOT the internal storage of the TomTom.

However.........

If you put the card in the unit, turn the unit on, dock it to the computer and start Home...if Home asks whether you want to use internal storage or external (sd card), then you don't need to format the sd card. The unit already 'sees' it.

But..........bottom line, do NOT put a mp3 folder in another folder, either in internal storage or on a sd card.

And why do you have a folder called 'poi'? All custom or dl poi's go directly in the specific map folder for which you want them to show..in your case, more than likely 'North America'. I hardly think you've gathered poi's for Guam. <g>

Last edited:
Why does it store it though onto the harddrive? Like lets say I play an mp3 using the tt, and I take the SD out, it still plays and if I press foward, it plays that song as well.

And as for the poi, I have no idea, it was already in there.

Sorry.........it's late and I asked a dumb question why the simcard folder is there. I know why it's there. Anyway, here's what mine looks like:
mp3.jpg

Notice the separate folder called mp3? Yours should have one too. If you take out your sd card, start your unit and goto jukebox. Can you play a mp3?

I have mp3's on both my sd card and internal memory, and when I open jukebox, it just combines both mp3 folders into one big list. Both mp3 folders are on the root of each device (root of 720 and root of sd card)

You mentioned that the mp3 folder was in the simcard folder earlier, which was probably an accidental drag n drop without realizing.

I'm not sure what the problem is here :( It should read from both folders, and that's it :(

Yes if I take out the sd card, start the tt, I can still play music.

Okay, then........when you look at the contents of the simcard folder on your INTERNAL setup, what do you see? Do you see another folder called mp3? And, if so, when you look in the mp3 folder, do you see individual mp3 files?

Ask a Question