Another SD card question

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I have the 720 with 8.01 firmware and a NA705.1481 map. I registered it on 7-30-08 so I am waiting to see if a newer map comes out before my 30 days are up. I have added a 4GB SD Card and have some mp3's on it.....it's seen by TT Home and by my Explorer.....no problems there. Here is my question.....
My 720's internal storage is almost full(added some POI's etc) so I'm going to install the new map on the card. When I do that and have not removed the original map from the internal storage, will the TT see the new one......or go to the original as it always has done?
I think I know the answer.....just need to be sure.

Thanks
Bob

Before you upgrade, back up your entire unit using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden folders/files are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Now then......you can install the new map on the sd card and keep the original in the unit. In order to utilize the new map, you'd go to the Manage Maps preference option and both will be listed. You'd switch there.

Another method is, after backup, to remove the entire map folder from the unit (move to pc, don't delete it). Still add the map to the sd card. [you'd probably need a pin reset using this method].

In addition to dhn's advice, don't wait too long before you use the map guarantee. The latest map is 720 (there has been 710 and 715 also, so not sure what it will offer to download - hopefully the actual latest).

It would be nice if it would offer you an 8xx series map, but probably won't. In the meantime, with the 8xx maps out there, I don't know if you can expect a newer NA map then 720.

Sadly....a poster in another forum reports that the next map release, whenever it comes, will more than likely be a 7.25, according to a customer support person he soke with.

On the other hand, the CS people have, on occasion, uh, er, been known to be wrong. :rolleyes: :eek:

Before you upgrade, back up your entire unit using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden folders/files are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Now then......you can install the new map on the sd card and keep the original in the unit. In order to utilize the new map, you'd go to the Manage Maps preference option and both will be listed. You'd switch there.
Hi,
can i do the same; moving any dir; of the tomtom memory to the sd card ? Or is it limited by those of them ?
best regards

The x20 (and x30) series use sd card memory **in addition** to core memory so that, for example, a 720 with core memory of 2 gigs and a card size of 4 gigs will be like a unit with 6 gigs.

There are some who find that if they put a map folder on the card, they also have to put the Loquendo folder (with the computer voices) on the card as well for TTS (text to speech) to work; others find TTS works ok with the map folder only on the card.

The main point is that the operating system files can stay on internal while a map resides on the card and the unit will 'see' the map.

Models below the x20 level do not have this facility built in.

Thanks,
the purpose was to get more *.itn files, this case the itn folder grawed.
At the other hand, i want installing tripmaster (or eventlogger), so that takes also more and more place and it likes tripmaster can't be installed on a sd card.
But if the map folder can be moved to the sd card, that's a good point, a little 2GB make place on the flash memory.
So i'll do it.
I'm not a media freak, so my mp3 folder and photo's iare very small.
What can i move more to the sd card ?
best regards

You could copy the entire contents of the unit to a sd card and the unit would function properly. So, pick and choose.

Ask a Question