Another new 510 owner

Hello all,

I just picked up my TomTom Go 510 today after returning the Garmin Streetpilot C330 I bought 4 days ago.

I returned the Garmin as I found it frustrating how little control I had over what was displayed on the map screen. You couldn't get POI icons to show, only a couple of street names would show at a time, and you could only see the ETA and next turn directions on the map screen.

So far I do like the TomTom, esp the fact that you can select which POI icons appear on the screen, you can have ETA, ETE, current speed, next turn info, current time etc. all on the map screen as you drive, and you have a lot of control over everything, and can customize it more than the Garmin.

That said I found the Garmin's database is both better organized and has better data, esp for stores in my area. The windshield mount causes the unit to vibrate in my car, to the point it is hard to read at times, as my car being a Hyundai Accent does not have the smoothest ride. However in true Canadian style I just pulled the roll of duct tape out of my glovebox, shoved it between the dash and the TomTom, and now it sits still. I also downloaded a Tim Hortons POI so I'm set for that too.

Anyhow I look forward to using the TomTom, and look forward to getting to know the members here too.

Ask a Question