Another (different?) voice problem with 910...

TomTom Model(s)
910, ONE, Nav 5 on a T3
Greetings,
I am having trouble with voice-navigation on my 910, but I think it is a different problem than what I have found discussed previously. When I ?Navigate to?? a new destination, I sometimes get ?Kate? (UK computer voice) to give me the initial 1 or 2 directions and then she shuts up. No more info. If I tap the lower-left to repeat/adj volume, I get the next (last?) direction loud & clear. I also get the ?Route cleared!? verbal notification every time I ?Clear route?. The other times, I don?t get any verbal directions at all, though once last night I had verbal directions my entire route (today-nothing). The same problem seems to occur with any voice, though I have not tried them all. All the voices seem to ?Test? correctly under the ?Change voice? command. ?Turn off/on sound? does not appear to have any affect.

I?m not sure, but I think the above started after I downloaded updates for my 910 the first time I used it (and, yes, I now do backups before doing anything). I currently have App 6.525 and North America v650.1052. I?m not sure what I had before this ?update?. I have not installed the 6.65 maps, but I believe they are in the que for next time I hook up to HOME.

Thanks for reading this & any tips you might have.

This isn't a problem, it is a feature. With Computer voices there is an option to read outloud any information or tips. You can enable/disable them using the voice preference option in preference. It also comes up after you have chosen your computer voice, it brings up a list of options. If you don't want this feature, you need to uncheck one of the options. I don't recall what it is at this moment.

Gotta love them features! Why else would anyone purchase "upgrades"?

I'm familiar with the "Speech preferences" page. Right now, I have every "Read aloud..." box checked and the 2 "Disable...instructions" options are unchecked. This should have Kate gabbing like a school girl. However, she remains mute.

The weird thing is that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes I get the first direction and then nothing. Other times (most times), I just get nothing. However, when I "ask" for directions with a tap in the lower left, I always get the latest info for my route.

I am trying to remember my steps when something different happens, but of course, I'm not having any luck with that! I suspect there is some common thread, so I will try harder.

Thanks for the reply.

Update

Okay, "Kate" has started speaking to me on a regular basis.

What's different: I just received my FM transmitter mount yesterday. Once I started using it, I have not had any problems with voice directions. I have not connected to HOME, reset, or charged the device since my last trip with no voices.

Previously, I was either using the 910 sitting on the seat or in the USB dock using the power cord. I have never used the "non-FM" mount.

Is there a difference between using the USB dock/power cord vs FM Transmitter mount/power cord?

Lost TTS Susan

I recently did a backup just to find out that all computer voices are gone. Tomtom tech services says that the only option is to send in since they will have it "remastered". This is the second time I've had a malfunction after a backup. Dell had me send in the first one and sent me a new one. The same occurs.

Are their any easy fixes? What's with the back-ups?

Easy fixes

I lost my maps after connecting to Tomtom home and was told I have to send the unit back to have the maps reinstalled - what a pain. I notice that some people are suggesting doing a backup using windows. I guess the idea is to somply copy all files on your Tomtom to a location on your computer so that you can copy them back later if needed.

I recently did a backup just to find out that all computer voices are gone. Tomtom tech services says that the only option is to send in since they will have it "remastered". This is the second time I've had a malfunction after a backup. Dell had me send in the first one and sent me a new one. The same occurs.

Are their any easy fixes? What's with the back-ups?

This would only work if you successfully have done a full backup of your unit. If you have not, then you would have to send it back to tomtom.
If your unit is still new, go exchange it for another at the store.

Ask a Question