Anit-glare film

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
It would seem that only the Rider series of TT uses the coating/film applied to the screen to provide for anti-glare. However, I found that it also makes the screen darn near invisible on bright days, no matter what screen colours were used. The use of a hood did not really make any real difference. If you look at a car-only unit, you will note the screen is almost black when the unit is turned off, whereas the Riders have a greyish coating.

At any rate, recently this coating recieved a few scrapes in it. I decided to bite the bullet and remove this coating. I used a portion of a razor-type blade and was able to remove all of the coating. WARNING: you will more than likely put some scrapes/scratches on the actual screen, so proceed at your own risk. Take your time and be very patient.

I used some metal polish (alum wheel polish) similar to a jewelers rouge to take out most of the scratches. The scratches that remain are visible when the unit is turned off, but not at all noticable when it is on.

The screen is now basically black when it is not turned on. Visibility on a bright day is now extremely good. There is of course some glare now, but that can be overcome.

I will probably buy an anti-scratch film to place on the screen now, but I am very happy with the results.

Cheers!

Last edited:
That is interesting.. It was a very sunny day today and I parked and could still barely make out names and things on my TTRider 2 screen when I moved the unit out of direct sun.. In route, I was looking quickly as I went through a shadow to seee how far to a turn,etc.. glare realy bad.. looked for a way to increase contrast with no luck.. :confused:

It is bad! I've tried every angle and screen color. Not even a shade helps. Not sure I have the nerve to remove the grey coating with a razor blade:eek::eek:

And thats why I did it, seems half the day the screen isnt viewabe, so at that point its kind of a useless device.

Very happy I removed the film. Not sure how else one could remove it other than using a razor blade.

Cheers

Anti Glare

It's been a while and I'm wondering if you're still happy with removing the film? Also, what about night mode ... still good there? Think maybe a chemical would remove the film without scratching?

Yes, it has been working well and visibility at night is not affected at all.

I cant think of any kind of chemical that would remove the film without destroying the screen surface as well.

Most of the scratches from removing the film are really only visible when the unit is turned off.

Cheers

Ask a Question