angry with tomtom custermer service

i have a tt1. it is about 5 tears old. i have never had it hooked up to tomtom home every until 2 days ago. it has worked great until ast week. it doesnt get used much and if it does, its my wife who uses it. anyways when i used it last week this is what happened and has ever since. everything works fine , i input the adress and so on, then it go to the screen with the map and it configs a route and it has the done button on the bottom righ. all is good until then. once i hit done and start my journey i dont get a map on the screen with the little blue arrow that moves along the map as you drive. what i get now is a blue screen with a white arrow in the direction of my next turn.all my info is still on the screen ie: time, distance sat signal and street name and voice instructions. my only problem is there is no map that follows me and it confuses my wife. so i hooked up to tomtom home for the first time ever 2 days ago and loaded an upgrade file. still the same problem. i then called tomtom and they had me remove the last upgrade and reload it. same problem. then i called again and i was put on hold for a while and then they came back and said it doesnt work cause my unit is old it wont accept their new applications and i would have to buy a new map. i told them that i should not have to buy another map. i spend $600 on my tt1 including warrenty and i have taken good care of it and they should provide a service for it. it is their responsibility to ensure that they still provide service to their products. its not fair that they have stopped my old unit from working properly. anyways i then spoke to a supervisor and he was the most rude person i have ever spoke to and told me tough luck basically. i had it on speaker and my wife couldn't believe it. he hung up on me, i called back and spoke to another supervisor and he was nice. he gave me a newer map to load and ensured me it would work. we got off the phone. i loaded it and guess what...........it still the same. anyone ever heard of this problem?

just to add, i just got off the phone with tomtom again and now they want me to do a disk check and if that doesn't work they want me to flash it. hopefully that works. i will report back my results.

ok i did the disck check and the flash 3 times and still the same problem. they now said the last thing i can try is format it an load everything back on which i'm doing now. after that they said because i'm way past my warrenty i am screwed!

This is a real long shot but worth trying:

Change Preferences/ Safety Preferences scroll through the screens until you see the "Turn Off map display" screen, is this set to "Always" if so please set this to "Never" and see what the device does - I have only ever seen this option produce the screen you describe in certain units employed in Taxi's, in fact I wondered how they had managed to get the device to behave in this way at the time so I asked! - Mike

Ask a Question