Angry after paying for an update

TomTom Model(s)
one
OK, this is my first post but I'm so annoyed I had to post this.

Just updated my Tom Tom (UK based, btw), it now proceeds to effing tell me to ''keep right'' - ''keep right'' after every single lay-by on dual carriageways which gets ridiculously relentless, pointless and damn right pathetically annoying.

It still takes me up stupid back lanes when I know quicker and faster routes and I seriously mean really stupid and idiotic routes it should clearly be aware of (it knew before the update, so why has it gone all spastic now?)

The ping-ping noise warning of speed cameras ahead sometimes will not work until you're right upon the camera where it worked well in advance before. (yes, I know how to adjust it, btw)

Lastly, I honestly feel like I've been ripped off proper by updating my UK map. Updating is a complete minefield too, but I did it and regret the whole saga.

DON'T UPDATE! (sadly the only option is to buy a completely new unit from scratch each time)

Rant over, sorry, but I was in such a better place with my device before the update.........just saying.

In their infinite wisdom, when you do an update TomTom sometimes seems to reset your settings to their idea of what the preferred values will be. You should be able to get rid of those annoying "Keep right" messages by going into the preferences (called "settings" on some models) and turning OFF the Voice Guidance.

The preferred routing choice may have also been changed by the update. I don't recall ever having the selection on mine changed away from "Fastest route", but I think that is one of only a few things that have not been altered on occasion when I have done an update. Go into your preferences (settings) and confirm what the unit currently thinks you want it to do.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Thanks for the feedback -et- I'll have to fiddle around with the settings like you advised and see what occurs when I'm out driving again.

I honestly couldn't believe it was more or less constantly informing me about every lay-by stop on roads and to keep driving ahead, it's absolutely ridiculous it did this after an update. I was happy as hell before I updated the thing but for the cost of it just to gain an extra few new roads in my neck of the woods, was not worth it at all and it still doesn't know some new roads or obsolete roads.

If anyone asked me if it's worth updating, I would say no. I'm very tech savvy but even I would say updating is a complete pain to do. Wish I never bothered now and saved my money. A complete rip-off, imho.

I honestly couldn't believe it was more or less constantly informing me about every lay-by stop on roads and to keep driving ahead, it's absolutely ridiculous it did this after an update. I was happy as hell before I updated the thing but for the cost of it just to gain an extra few new roads in my neck of the woods, was not worth it at all and it still doesn't know some new roads or obsolete roads.
When we got our first GPS (a TomTom XXL540) last year, that constant nagging was already there, and it drove us up the wall until I figured out how to turn it off. If I had not figured out how to turn it off, my wife would have given me a choice between her and the GPS.

I have heard that this nagging is pretty universal with the models that use the firmware versions up to Version 9.XXX. It is much, much better on the later models such as my GO LIVE 1535 that use different firmware, which makes leaving Voice Guidance ON a much more viable proposition for me. However, on occasion I still get some of my settings changed when I update the firmware or update a map. It is easy to reset things back to the way I prefer, but it is irritating to have to do so.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

It's ugly in anything pre-10.XXX code. I've complained at length about it here and directly to TomTom, but no dice. We have a seemingly infinite number of 'exit only' lanes here, and 9.XXX and prior seems obligated to announce every bloody one:

Imagine this ride (and this is only PART of the route)

Attachments

• Silly Route Data.jpg
    Silly Route Data.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 462

Ask a Question