alternative update method?

Discussion in 'TomTom Home and MyTomTom Software' started by SimonW, Jul 23, 2016.

1. SimonW

SimonW

TomTom Model(s):
    Via 620
    Hi,

My dad has a TomTom Via 620, and he wants me to keep it updated for him, but the TomTom application is extremely intrusive and keeps adding itself to the login items on my Mac, which I don't want. Is there any alternative way to update the TomTom without this annoying app?

Thanks,

Simon

SimonW, Jul 23, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. SimonW

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    Not a Mac user, so unclear how to remove a particular item as a startup app on those devices. It sounds as though you've removed it, but when using it, it adds itself back?

The reasoning is to assure that you are notified of any new firmware, map or ancillary (speed cams) updates, and it's through the MyDrive app that this occurs.

If it returns itself to the startup list, the only solution is to remove it after using the app. There are no alternate methods for updating this generation of device.

canderson, Jul 23, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. SimonW

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    Here's the option to stop it from loading on a Windows box, Simon. It is possible that you can do the same on a Mac, but as noted, I don't have the app running on a Mac, so can't say for certain.
    For Windows, you right click the systray icon, select Settings, and the General page looks like this:

Attached Files:

canderson, Jul 24, 2016
  4. SimonW

SimonW

TomTom Model(s):
    Via 620
    Thanks canderson, as you guessed, I do know how to remove it from from the login items, in the standard Mac way, but it keeps adding itself again. The issue is it's an older computer, and I'm trying to avoid it getting bloated with software. I'll try to find the device settings as you had in the screen shot. I think I already looked at that, but it was a while ago. Thanks for the help.

SimonW, Jul 24, 2016
  5. SimonW

Arno Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    Unless you used HOME to make backups from the device to your computer there is nothing to stop you from deleting that programme altogether. Next time an update is wanted, just download it again from TomTom's web site.

You will know the equivalent to Windows to delete Home.
    Windows
    Screen288.jpg

Delete
    Screen289.jpg

Arno, Jul 24, 2016
  6. SimonW

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    Nothing "Home" about it, Arno. He's got a Via 620, which is the Australian equivalent of a Via 1605 here. MyDrive only.

canderson, Jul 24, 2016
  7. SimonW

Arno Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    OK. That should make it even easier.
    After updating and disconnecting the device, find the equivalent programme to
    TomTom MyDrive Connect 4.1.1.2797 on the Mac (the last 4 or 5 digits should be different )
    and delete it.

When needed again to update, it can be downloaded from

https://www.tomtom.com/en_ca/mydrive-connect/

scan down to Download anew for Mac.

Arno, Jul 24, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question