alternative to windshield mount

I have the Nav-Mat beanbag mount (I was also inspired when a friend got the Nuvi beanbag). Got it for $25 at Amazon. I've had it about 6 weeks now and I've been really happy with it. It actually brings the unit closer to me so I can reach it without leaning, is easier to transport from car-to-car, and I can toss it under the passenger seat when I need to hide it. The bottom of it is "high friction" but it is not sticky in any way so I'm not too worried about it getting dirty and losing its stick over time.

Be creative and integrate the factory mount; I did; into the dash bezel of my Durango. I blocked the vent to keep out heat/cold. 20 minutes of time to embed it into the dash, quick removal and I can watch Family Guy on the way to work (In traffic).

I just wish the auto on worked. Being in New England the temp changes would caused the suction mount to fall off. and it was a pain to reach over the steering wheel while driving and TomTom was sliding around....

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

That's pretty cute. I think I'm most impressed by how the TomTom's front bezel matches your dash trim so closely. Was that just dumb luck or did you customize the front of the TT1?

Thanks for the responses for my question regarding raising my unit up and inch or so to accommodate the cables/connectors (deleted soon after I submitted it because I just bought a third-party mount).

I ended up getting a dash mount on eBay which will offer my unit the height I needed...

TomTom_720_DashWin_Side.jpg

It'll bring the unit a little closer to me so I won't have to lean into it (Honda Element).

Unfortunately, having it above where you have it, jinferrera, which puts video content in a distracting position ;) - and I'm easily distracted. LA rush-hour traffic kind of levels the playing field though when you're sitting on the 405 parking lot.

Last edited:
Be creative and integrate the factory mount; I did; into the dash bezel of my Durango. I blocked the vent to keep out heat/cold. 20 minutes of time to embed it into the dash, quick removal and I can watch Family Guy on the way to work (In traffic).

I just wish the auto on worked. Being in New England the temp changes would caused the suction mount to fall off. and it was a pain to reach over the steering wheel while driving and TomTom was sliding around....

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Great idea! I'm trying to do something similar w/ my Taurus, just haven't had time yet. I'll try to post some pics after I am successful. How well does the included little plastic disc work for "non windshield" attachment?

Thanks for the responses for my question regarding raising my unit up and inch or so to accommodate the cables/connectors (deleted soon after I submitted it because I just bought a third-party mount).
I ended up getting a dash mount on eBay which will offer my unit the height I needed...
It'll bring the unit a little closer to me so I won't have to lean into it (Honda Element).
Unfortunately, having it above where you have it, jinferrera, which puts video content in a distracting position ;) - and I'm easily distracted. LA rush-hour traffic kind of levels the playing field though when you're sitting on the 405 parking lot.

How much did that cost?

It was $11.95 (Buy It Now) + $6.95 (shipping) = $18.90. There were some others that either offered a longer arm (bringing the unit closer in which would be better if you have to mount further back on your dashboard closer to the windshield) among others.

Looks like there's a pretty good selection out there. I was originally looking for something really simple, but another mounting kit all together will make it easier to shuttle the GPS back and forth between my car and my wife's, so it's all good.

It was $11.95 (Buy It Now) + $6.95 (shipping) = $18.90. There were some others that either offered a longer arm (bringing the unit closer in which would be better if you have to mount further back on your dashboard closer to the windshield) among others.

Looks like there's a pretty good selection out there. I was originally looking for something really simple, but another mounting kit all together will make it easier to shuttle the GPS back and forth between my car and my wife's, so it's all good.

That's great, cheaper than the bean bag, I think. I'll probably need something like that for our new vehicle, the windshield is too far away to use the suction cup.

Great idea! I'm trying to do something similar w/ my Taurus, just haven't had time yet. I'll try to post some pics after I am successful. How well does the included little plastic disc work for "non windshield" attachment?

I am not fond of using the stick on, could damage plastic/dash and I use way too much armor all to have anything stick to the dash. May damage or leave discoloration after being removed.

I like the older mount on my 300 that allowed you to push the lever to get (or create) more suction, but then again the 300 was 3X as heavy as the ONE XL.

TomTom_720_DashWin_Side.jpg

hanswang,

Distraction is no problem, I drive in Boston so being distracted and driving like an ass is a prerequsite, if I payed attention I would get pulled over - LOL!

Has anyone used the double sided tape yet? Any problems? I found the tape at Home Depot and the back inst. says, "It will never come off".....That made me worry, so I haven't bought it yet...

Thanks,

Jim

Very happy with my Tomtom ONE XL, but the mount is another story. Any alternative mounts (dash, cup holder, vent or windshield) out there ?:D

Maybe I missed it but what vehicle are you mounting it in? I ask because there maybe other solutions, like a stash box, or something. I ran mine up off the rear view mirror, and you can't see it from outside.

DSCF0277.JPG

071223_142304.jpg

How/what is that mounted to?

I think what I did is specific to my vehicle, but there's alittle plastic cover that covers the bolts for the rearview mirror, it just slides off. I took the mount that came with tomtom, and cut it back by the suction cup, then drilled a 5/8" (I think) hole in the cover, trimmed it up so the mount would fit the hole, and glued it. But what I was saying it there's all kinds of options, and sometimes one person will see something someone else doesn't.

If you look in the TOMTOM SHOWOFF forum on here, you can get alot of cool ideas

gps3.JPG

gps9.jpg

What I like in your solution is that the placement seems to prevent it being affected by the outside glare with your roof being higher than the windshield.

I would need to experiment with my overhead car computer on my Chrysler Intrepid if it would be the best suitable placement.

Ask a Question