alternative to windshield mount

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
Very happy with my Tomtom ONE XL, but the mount is another story. Any alternative mounts (dash, cup holder, vent or windshield) out there ?:D

Just use some double-side tapes. The best for this is the Scotch weather resistant, exterior mounting tape from Walmart. Easy to set anywhere and take away.

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

I was going to mount mine where my ash try used to be. I have a ford ranger, and since the ash tray is no longer there, I figured, that area would be perfect for mounting the TT. However, I havent made any final decisions. Also, my other thought was some how attaching the windshield mount to the top liner of the cab by the rear veiw mirror. In that position, it would be a bit me 'practical' yet less safe from theives since theyd be able to see it if I ever left it in the truck.

What is that thing you used to level out the ONE on your dash?

Anything you can find that's about the height of the USB plug. I'm an electronics guy, so I used a 12mm electrolytic capacitor I have around. Use the mentioned double-side tape to stick it to the bottom. Cannot think of any easier and better mounting method.

The key is the exterior double-side tape. It is very sticky, but not messy like other tapes, especially under summer heat, and meanwhile easily removable. Cat. 4011T, Bar code 5113176274.

See I use this tape to add a bottle cap to the short volume knob (the only stupid thing found in SCION xB) to make it much easier to adjust. It's been two years now. Love this tape.

P1010015.JPG

Don't leave an empty mount visible. Don't leave suction cup circles. Don't leave anything that screams GPS, or you'll be sorry. I even removed my cell phone mount, because you can't count on thieves to be smart enough to tell the difference.

Anything you can find that's about the height of the USB plug. I'm an electronics guy, so I used a 12mm electrolytic capacitor I have around. Use the mentioned double-side tape to stick it to the bottom. Cannot think of any easier and better mounting method.

The key is the exterior double-side tape. It is very sticky, but not messy like other tapes, especially under summer heat, and meanwhile easily removable. Cat. 4011T, Bar code 5113176274.

Did you use double side tape on suction mount as well - other wise what is holding tomtom securely to scion dash?

thanks for pics

No I did not use tape on the suction mount. The two small pieces of double-side tape, one on the added supporter and one on the USB plug, hold the unit very well, secure enough for typing on the touch screen. Never fell off or moved by sharp turns yet. Easy to take the unit off the dash board and hide it somewhere.

Of course you can leave some double-side tape on the dashboard, instead of on the device.

Again, the key is the right tape. This tape is very strong and meanwhile removable. It is very clean, it won't leave any mess that's very difficult to clean like all other tapes.

IMGP0147.JPG

imgp0146.jpg

Last edited:
No I did not use tape on the suction mount. The two small pieces of double-side tape, one on the added supporter and one on the USB plug, hold the unit very well, secure enough for typing on the touch screen. Never fell off or moved by sharp turns yet. Easy to take the unit off the dash board and hide it somewhere.

Of course you can leave some double-side tape on the dashboard, instead of on the device.

Again, the key is the right tape. This tape is very strong and meanwhile removable. It is very clean, it won't leave any mess that's very difficult to clean like all other tapes.

thanks fixup for info and pic, just picked up double sided tape - now I just have to find a good support matching usb plug's height.

Alternate to windshield mount

After using the windshield mount for one day I also decided to find a better solution. I found it in a universal bean bag mount at Best Buy that you can fasten the windshield mount to and it stays put on the dash. It is easy to move between cars and can be stowed in the trunk leaving no trace of the fact that you have a GPS.

After using the windshield mount for one day I also decided to find a better solution. I found it in a universal bean bag mount at Best Buy that you can fasten the windshield mount to and it stays put on the dash. It is easy to move between cars and can be stowed in the trunk leaving no trace of the fact that you have a GPS.

I have 2 cars myself, so I've been looking for a versatile solution that I can take from car to car. I'm seriously considering the bean bag mount, but in my experience with these "friction pads" is that when they get dirty, they're not sticky anymore. I have a couple I currently use for my wallet, cell phone, badges, etc. and they like to stay in place. Taking them on and off repeatedly gets them dirty and they stop gripping so well. All you have to do is wash them and they're back to new, but if you're going to put it in your trunk EVERY time you park your car (or almost every time), I think you'll have to do a lot of washing pretty frequently.

I have 2 cars myself, so I've been looking for a versatile solution that I can take from car to car. I'm seriously considering the bean bag mount, but in my experience with these "friction pads" is that when they get dirty, they're not sticky anymore. I have a couple I currently use for my wallet, cell phone, badges, etc. and they like to stay in place. Taking them on and off repeatedly gets them dirty and they stop gripping so well. All you have to do is wash them and they're back to new, but if you're going to put it in your trunk EVERY time you park your car (or almost every time), I think you'll have to do a lot of washing pretty frequently.

I've been using the bean bag mount now for about 2 months and so far so good. I really like it.

Don't Leave Your Gps In Your Car!!!

I was going to mount mine where my ash try used to be. I have a ford ranger, and since the ash tray is no longer there, I figured, that area would be perfect for mounting the TT. However, I havent made any final decisions. Also, my other thought was some how attaching the windshield mount to the top liner of the cab by the rear veiw mirror. In that position, it would be a bit me 'practical' yet less safe from theives since theyd be able to see it if I ever left it in the truck.
:eek:
NEVER NEVER NEVER LEAVE YOUR GPS IN YOUR CAR!!!
You won't have it for long if you do that!!!

quasi stealth w/s mount...

I usually park in protected parking but while in Crime Capital USA (MEM), I try to be as stealthy as practical. Jeeps are not too secure, after all, so I'll leave the suction mount in for now.

It does interfere with my "Jeep" window shade so sometime during vacation this month I'll cobble up a hard mount that won't interfere.

WSmount2007_0507_192508.jpg

WSmount2007_0507_192527.jpg

WSmount2007_0507_192450.jpg

Just gotta move the static clings up a little and it should be okay for now. Need to pull the slack out of the usb cable, too.

Last edited:
bean bag mount

I did a search at bestbuy.com and found the beanbag mount. $41.00 ???. Maybe I'll try it. Thansk for the tip :D

Glad you found it. Yes it is a bit pricey but Best Buy had it on sale last week for $39.95. I spoke with the sales guy that I talked with when I bought mine and he knocked $10.00 off the price for me. Best deal I ever made. By the way, I got the idea from the bean bag Garmin mount that they also sell, but that mount will not work with the TomTom.

Ask a Question