alternative Routes

My tomtom one, told me that the best way to enter Canada through Detroit was the truck ferry(which is not available for non-commercial use). When I told it to find an alternative by avoiding that part of the route, it directed me to go around Lake Erie to Windsor, giving me an eta of 25hrs. I used the route to the ferry. Knowing where I was going pass the exit and it redirected me to take the bridge to the Canada, I passed that exit and it finally redirected me to take the tunnel, which was the closest crossing to my original location. Is there any way to correct this problem? I have the latest maps and update before each trip. The ferry route was also about 30 min longer than it would take to cross at the tunnel.

Do you have "avoid tolls" selected? I read another post (but haven't tried myself) that said tomtom thinks some border crossings are tolls.

No, it asked if I want to avoid toll road and I said no. It always asks before I cross the border.

I tried with map 830 - with IQroutes enabled and disabled (not sure if your Tomtom ONE version has IQroutes.

This map severly disfavors the ferry, and even if I route from ferry dock to ferry dock, it still takes me all the way over the ambassador bridge and back.

The only way I could get the Tomtom to route over the ferry was to avoid toll roads.

Maybe your toll road preference is corrupted? Try changing your toll roads settings in preferences from "ask me" to "never avoid toll roads". And see if it works.

If that works, try setting it back to "ask me", and maybe that changing/unchanging of the setting will fix things.

You know, this is getting interesting........

There was a thread going last week, if I remember correctly, where a poster was trying to get a route done from someplace in England to France via some Ferry and the routing insisted that the Chunnel be used instead.

Ah, here it is......

One other thought - if you can't use the ferry since you're not a truck, you can use mapshare and block the ferry lane (don't share it with others). I do that for a few truck-only roads in my neighborhood.

You know, this is getting interesting........

There was a thread going last week, if I remember correctly, where a poster was trying to get a route done from someplace in England to France via some Ferry and the routing insisted that the Chunnel be used instead.

Ah, here it is......

Well, you and the 920'ers are the only ones with the Western Europe map.... Try routes from the middle of the ferry lane to both shores, maybe there's a turn restriction at one shore?

Think some of the Brits tried that. I just thought it quite a coincidence between the issues in the two threads.

There was a thread here at least a year ago (I'll never find it now..) where someone went from Canada to the US using one of the bridges and found 'no route available' coming back. His issue was that he had set it to avoid toll roads and it didn't cost to get across the bridge but it did coming back. He was stuck! :eek:

Ask a Question