Alternative Map Updates available????

I have a GO 630 I've have a little over two years. I'd like to update the map but TomTom really sticks it to you. They say I have to buy an all new map (?????) for about $32 and also buy four quarterly updates at $10 each, a total of nearly $72. No ifs, ands, or buts, that's their only offer. That's ridiculous. I neither need nor want quarterly updates, and my current map is fine, just needs updating for new roads, interchanges, etc.

Is there an alternative source for updating maps other than TomTom? I'm guessing not.

Is Garmin as bad? Maybe I should switch.

Yes, TomTom will insist that you bring your current map up to date before providing the quarterly update service. These days, the smart move is to buy a unit with lifetime maps included.

Consider this instead... an XL540M, $110, includes lifetime maps and you get a 5" screen. For $120, you can get the traffic enabled version XL540TM.

The 540 is a very capable little unit. It's a little slower to handle route calculations (different CPU speed), but runs more recent software. Among the differences, the 540 does not support Bluetooth handsfree operation or voice commands. If you were getting good mileage out of either of those features, the 540 could be a problem.

Thanks for the reply and info canderson. My GO is working fine for me now (with 2+ year old maps) but I will keep your suggestion in mind about the XXL 540 (I assume you meant XXL rather than XL) and definitely consider the lifetime map update option for the future. I just use the GPS for basic here-to-there navigation and don't use the extra features like blue-tooth or traffic.

I think you've gone amiss somewhere...
Yes, TomTom are keen to get you to buy their map update service, but surely in the US you can still buy a single map?

You certainly can in the UK.

You will still baulk at how expensive it is though.:lol:
But maps ARE expensive. Garmin will be very similar.

I just looked on the US website and went straight to USA - Single Map(v8.75) for $49.95

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/shop/maps/#deviceSelected=GO%20530/630/730&mapSelected=USA

Isn't that what you want?

By the way, I thought it was funny when you said "and my current map is fine, just needs updating for new roads, interchanges, etc."

Err.. the roads and interchanges etc. ARE your map! There's not a lot of other detail on them. :lol:

------------------------

Yes, it's possible to buy single maps, but somehow I got the impression he was after the quarterly service, hence the "Yes, TomTom will insist that you bring your current map up to date before providing the quarterly update service."

Yes, TomTom are keen to get you to buy their map update service, but surely in the US you can still buy a single map?
Andy, no, I've not gone amiss. Yes, I can buy an updated US map for $32 (US) but also have to buy 4 (count 'em, four) quarterly updates for another $40, total of $72. Quarterly updates are overkill. And yes, maps are expensive (initially, but now they are just updates) but at the volume Tom Tom sells, ten bucks each is a LOT of revenue.

By the way, I thought it was funny when you said "and my current map is fine, just needs updating for new roads, interchanges, etc."

Err.. the roads and interchanges etc. ARE your map! There's not a lot of other detail on them. :lol:

------------------------
Yes, exactly. But road construction and modification in the US is constant so it's nice to occasionally (once a year would do it) get updated maps.

Andy, no, I've not gone amiss. Yes, I can buy an updated US map for $32 (US) but also have to buy 4 (count 'em, four) quarterly updates for another $40, total of $72. Quarterly updates are overkill.
? Sounds like I'm the one who went amiss in understanding what you wanted. You should be able to buy a single map update without buying the quarterly updates.

What happens when you go to the link that Andy provided? If you select GO 530/630/730, and then North America, you should see a "North America - Single Map(v8.75) 1691.6 MB" map for $59.95.

Andy, no, I've not gone amiss. Yes, I can buy an updated US map for $32 (US) but also have to buy 4 (count 'em, four) quarterly updates for another $40, total of $72.

No.... you don't!

Keep looking... There IS a way to buy just a single map without signing up for any quarterly updates. Have a look at that link I provided.

What happens when you go to the link that Andy provided? If you select GO 530/630/730, and then North America, you should see a "North America - Single Map(v8.75) 1691.6 MB" map for $59.95.

Odd... I don't see "North America" for that model....
I got two options: "USA - Single Map(v8.75) 1540.1 MB" for $49.95
or "USA & Mexico - Single Map(v8.75) 1625.2 MB" for $59.95

EDIT: Correcction, I just tried again, and now I *do* get "North America" too. So that's three options for single maps of the US.

Last edited:
Another odd bit of news. The "Travel Map" page on the U.S. site goes nowhere useful at the moment. Comes up with a page that (give or take) says the page has been moved or is broken. Wonder if they have discontinued the service for the season?

The "Travel Map" page on the U.S. site goes nowhere useful at the moment. Comes up with a page that (give or take) says the page has been moved or is broken. Wonder if they have discontinued the service for the season?

Works for me- I was able to select a map to buy. I didn't complete the purchase.

Working today. Must have been a transient failure.

$49 for USA only map, no Canada no Mexico..
But the web site is so confusing. Maybe by "design"......:)
Do web designers ever really try to use their creations in the real world:)

$49 for USA only map, no Canada no Mexico..
But the web site is so confusing. Maybe by "design"......:)

Looks easy enough to me.
You don't say what model you are trying to update, but here's what I get on the US website's map shop page if I enter "Go LIVE 740"

3510d1322495831-alternative-map-updates-available-maps-tomtom-mozilla-firefox.jpg

You HAVE to enter a model number (or your serial number) on that page, otherwise it doesn't know what size maps to offer you.

Attachments

• Maps - TomTom - Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    Maps - TomTom - Mozilla Firefox.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,603

Ask a Question