Alphanumeric street numbers in the USA

nitefal808,

dhn's Tomtom contact said they were about to intervene on your behalf, but checked your case and found that you had finally found a call center rep who could manually activate your Latest Map Guarantee to map 875.

Is everything working for you now?

Regarding the image of the keyboard on 1st page, how does one enable to show numbers above the letters on the input keyboard?

That was the first thing I did, change the keyboard preferences to "small keyboard". The only thing that changed is now I see 3 rows of text instead on 2 above the keyboard, no numbers above the letters on the input keyboard.
My device:
TomTom XXL 540M
App: <Version>9.061
Map: <Version>875.3669

wliu... are you trying to get the numbers row on the keyboard specifically for the alphanumeric house numbers being discussed above? Or are you just trying to get it for general use?

On my XL (which DOESN'T have the alphanumeric stuff as it is a European model) I only get the numbers above the letters in CERTAIN places when the keyboard is shown.

For example, if I go to "Navigate to..." "Address" "Street and house number" there are no numbers on the alpha keyboard, but if I go to "Navigate to..." "Address" "Postcode" then the numbers ARE there.

Florence_Keyboard_numbers.jpg

I?m trying to enable the keyboard with numbers above the letters for general use.
I just tried your example, if I go to "Navigate to..." "Address" "Street and house number" there are no numbers on the alpha keyboard, and if I go to "Navigate to..." "Address" "Zipcode" then there are only numbers and no letters.

I’m trying to enable the keyboard with numbers above the letters for general use.

Ahh right... I was wondering if you weren't getting it in the exact scenario being discussed.
In more general use, whether you get it or not is software version and model dependant.
I'm afraid thaat AFAIK there's nothing you can do to enable it yourself, if it isn't there on your model and you're running latest software.

@Kim

I've moved your post here from a different topic as it has more relevance here.

I'm guessing you have a Go920, but I could be wrong. If so, can you give a lot more details about what software and maps you are running on it, please?

Things have changed a lot from the early days, and as the first post in this topic says, TT are now covering some alpha-numeric addresses in some areas.

One of the US "regulars" will be able to give you more details.

@Kim

I've moved your post here from a different topic as it has more relevance here.

I'm guessing you have a Go920, but I could be wrong. If so, can you give a lot more details about what software and maps you are running on it, please?

Things have changed a lot from the early days, and as the first post in this topic says, TT are now covering some alpha-numeric addresses in some areas.

One of the US "regulars" will be able to give you more details.

I have a Go 720! When they finally started to put alpha neumerical addresses on models, The Go 720 wasn't one of them. They don't have anymore firmware upgrades, or anything. Force you to buy a new GPS just to get the addresses.Not me!
I have firmware version 9.430, and map version v840.2562!

Ah, Kim ... recall this thread? >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t22312-alphanumeric-street-numbers-usa.html

Well, your firmware was updated after all. Recall that the requirements for alphanumerics per that thread are

- Application 9.x or later
- Map 850 or later
- Map must end in a P (eg: Usa_Canada_Mexico_P or North_America_P)

They started support in 850 as we mentioned, and you're running map 840? Besides being about 3 years old, 840 didn't support the numbering scheme you want, as was explained back then.
Unfortunately, your (and my) 720 maps are the North_America_2GB style, so I don't think they qualify. Odd, though. My 740 can handle this, and it's also using North_America_2GB. Do you have a sample you would like me to try on my two units?

Ah, Kim ... recall this thread? >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t22312-alphanumeric-street-numbers-usa.html

Well, your firmware was updated after all. Recall that the requirements for alphanumerics per that thread are

- Map 850 or later

They started support in 850 as we mentioned, and you're running map 840? Besides being about 3 years old, 840 didn't support the numbering scheme you want, as was explained back then.
Unfortunately, your (and my) 720 maps are the North_America_2GB style, so I don't think they qualify. Odd, though. My 740 can handle this, and it's also using North_America_2GB. Do you have a sample you would like me to try on my two units?
N225 Stoney Brook Road. W2916 E. Edgewood Drive. Good luck!
The reason my map is so old is because why should I bother paying full price for a map when there isn't going to ne any alphneunerical addresses on it! I need those addresses before I even think about it! It's not going to happen, so that is why I went out and got me a Garmin. Now that is a GPS! Find every single alphaneumerical address I type in!
I ended up giving the Tom Tom to my 7 year old granddaughter to play with.

Last edited:
N225 Stoney Brook Road. W2916 E. Edgewood Drive.

I was going to see if the US maps on my Go1005 could find your example, but surely that's not enough to find an address in the whole of the USA? Don't we need to know a state or something?

Yeah, a little thin on info, Andy. Wild guess is that the N225 Stoney Brook Road address might be Appleton, Wisconsin, but ...

On my GO 740 with 9.465 and 900 map

Drive to 'address'
Select Wisconsin
Select Appleton
Select Stoney Brook Road
Select "ABC"
Select 'N'
Select "123"
Select '225'
Select "Done"

On my GO 720 with 9.465 and map 870, it only allows for a cross street.

Can anyone with a current (900) map with an x20 unit verify that the problem is either map version related or model version related?

Last edited:
Alphanumeric house numbers are not supported on the Go x20, GO x30, nor any pre-IQroutes models.

Tomtom supports alphanumeric house numbers on all models launched 2009 and later.

What's interesting was the original 'requirements' list, one I believe I quoted from one of your posts, mvl

- Map 850 or later

A GO 740 definitely fails the last criterion, yet works fine with alphanumerics.

Yeah, a little thin on info, Andy. Wild guess is that the N225 Stoney Brook Road address might be Appleton, Wisconsin, but ...

On my GO 740 with 9.465 and 900 map

Drive to 'address'
Select Wisconsin
Select Appleton
Select Stoney Brook Road
Select "ABC"
Select 'N'
Select "123"
Select '225'
Select "Done"

On my GO 720 with 9.465 and map 870, it only allows for a cross street.

Can anyone with a current (900) map with an x20 unit verify that the problem is either map version related or model version related?
How are you suppose to know the cross street unless you look it up on another map? Sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it! What did they bother putting all of the dots and dashes on a 720 for if you can't use any of them? What if there are no cross streets? You have to take a map with you just like the old days!

Last edited:
That IS the downside for units that don't include the feature. I knew the x20 series didn't get the benefit of that change, and I knew the x40 had. What I wasn't sure about was what had happened to the x30 code.

Few electronic devices you buy will ever be updated to the 'current' level of code for the normal life of the product. This was a known shortcoming from the earliest days of TomTom units until a point a bit ago when this feature started to appear, and some older units were the beneficiaries of the change, older ones yet were not.

How many firmware updates have you had to your old Sony rear projection TV, ca. 2002? I never had one.

Ask a Question