Alert when close to schools & places of worship

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
TomTom GPSs have a lot of useful things in them, but I give this feature an 8 out of 10 on the uselessness scale. Most of us might use this feature to remind us to slow down; here in California you need to slow down to 25 mph when you're approaching a school or church. Well, the case they've addressed is more like a restraining order. Every time you get within about 250 yards of a school, even if you're driving along the freeway it will alert you.

Though from viewing the Meghan's Law web site I can see that sex offenders and especially convicted pedophiles are far more numerous than I ever imagined, this has limited appeal. Even if you do have a restraining order, you wouldn't care about a school or church that's 100 yards from the freeway.

If anything, the feature acts as a tool for pedophiles to locate large concentrations of children.

Not cool. :mad:

But before I send a flame-o-gram to TomTom, does this feature serve any useful purpose?

even if you're driving along the freeway it will alert you.
Are you sure you've checked the "Alert only if POI is on route" option?

If anything, the feature acts as a tool for pedophiles to locate large concentrations of children.
Come, now...

does this feature serve any useful purpose?
Sure: it tries to warn the driver: "hey, large groups of people gather over there; drive carefully around them."

Every time you get within about 250 yards of a school, even if you're driving along the freeway it will alert you.

Are you sure you've checked the "Alert only if POI is on route" option?

If I have such an option, it's not part of the Safety Preferences settings where I enable this feature. I double-checked just now.

But before I send a flame-o-gram to TomTom, does this feature serve any useful purpose?

Sure: it tries to warn the driver: "hey, large groups of people gather over there; drive carefully around them."

If that was the intent, why not include convention centers? The only thing that schools and places of worship (which often have private schools connected to them) have in common is that there's a risk of children running out in front of cars. Alerting only when the POI is on route is a great idea, but as built, that's not what this feature does.

If I have such an option, it's not part of the Safety Preferences settings where I enable this feature. I double-checked just now.
It's not in Safety Preferences, but in Manage POIS > Warn when near POI > [choose your specific POI] > Warn when closer than > Select warning sound > Warn only if POI is on route

If that was the intent, why not include convention centers?
Heh. I wish I had an answer to that.

Ask a Question