Alert and warning sound files

I?ve tried to create my own warning and alert sounds with limited success. I make the sounds, save in .ogg format and load them into the TomTom sounds folder.

First question is WTF are the .tlv files? Most of the sounds the TomTom ships with appear to be associated with a pair of files - an .ogg and a .tlv file. Obviously, the sounds I am making are just .ogg files [or .wav files].

So a couple of the .ogg files I made work fine and similar ones don?t work at all. I have no idea why? Anybody got a clue? Are they too long or too big perhaps? (I?ve tried playing with the file names but that's not it.)

Also for reasons I don?t understand, when I go to choose one of my new sounds in the TomTom, I get two names - a .filename and a filename. Only the filename ones work [sometimes]. So what are the .filename options?

Welcome to TTF. Look for supermod, Mikealder, (UK based) to post to your thread about creating sound files. If he doesn't show up in 24 hours (think he will) then pm him.

Also, see here for further info

As far as the dot files appearing........

Bet you are using a Mac. the dot in the beginnig of a file name represents a hidden file in the Apple O/s but not in others (such as TomTom's linux based system).

So, both the 'hidden' and non hidden duplicated file names are showing.

There are utilities out there to strip the dot files. Also, think Iread somewhere about needing to turn off spotlight on the mac (whatever that means.......:) )

Oh yes.

Bet you are using a Mac.
dawk-icon_yes.gif

If you would like to email me the files, I can see to convert them for you.
What are you using to convert the files to *.ogg" extension?

alert and warning sounds don't sound

My red light cameras etc. show up on my map but the alert warning I chose doesn't. Any suggestions to get the warning to work since the camera icons come on the map

Alert and warning file sounds

Thanks for all the answers. Curiously I find it strange that if the device has factory progammed icons and alerts for you to select then WHY?????? does not just checking off the above pre programmed menues work??:confused::mad:

Cameras come up on map but no warning sounds??

Does anyone have an answer as to why the red light etc. cameras come up on the map but the chosen audible warning doesn't?
A simple answer is sufficient. Thanks :cool:

:cool::cool::cool::cool: OH WELL I guess no on out there can answer the simple above question : IF THE RED LIGHT AND OTHER WARNING CAMERAS SHOW UP ON MY MAP AS I DRIVE, WHY DOESN'T THE ALERT I SELECTED SOUND????? Thanks for no answer. I appreciate anything to help!

It might assist in getting some answers for your issue if you told us what device you are using, where the speed camera files are supplied from (TT or indy) and which warning sounds are you trying to use? - Mike

Hi

Sorry I wasn't more explicit in my question. I have the GO 630.I am useing the files that came with the unit when I bought it so I assume it's TT. I just wanted the red light cameras and the fixed safety cameras. I checked off the items and chose the bugle sound as a warning sound when asked for a sound. As I said, the cameras show up on the map but I don't get any warning sound, otherwise everything else works fine. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Just to confirm, when you go to TomTom Services-->TomTom Speed Cameras-->you don't have 'disable warnings' do you?

No, I have a bunch of them that came with the GO630 when I bought it new about 2 months ago. I just decided to select the Bugle sound when the camera icon shows up on the map. In total, there are 25 sounds to choose from that came with the unit. I just happened to choose the bugle sound but the warning sound doesn't come on when the cameras show up on the screen.

Speed cameras are set up under a separate menu like dhn said. You have to go to the Tomtom services section. There is extensive customization there, allowing you to set different warnings for different camera types.

Tomtom shows the cameras like POI, but you can't use the normal POI warning menus for them.

Ask a Question