Airplane seat mount

Hi,

I plan to use my 920T as a videoplayer (with MobilNova) during long flights. I try to figure out a comfortable mount, so I don't have to hold the unit in my hands. Something I can fix between the seat and the tray when the tray is locked in closed position, small enough to carry in my laptop bag, etc...

BTW, what is the expected battery life while watching movies? I have some external battery if required...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chip

Perhaps a mirror that the mount can attach on. THe mirror can have some weight below it so the unit does not tip over and be placed on the lap tray.

Battery doesn't last that long. Maybe an hour or 2 using mobilnova.

Thanks, but I have some safety concern about having a mirror next to me during turbulences, etc...

I am just thinking of an L shaped plastic plate, the vertical part goes behind the tray (when it is locked, and I can attach the a suction mount on the horizontal part.

BTW, how many time I can attach/remove a suction type of mount before it loses its "stickiness"? Is a ratchet type suction mount better than the simple push-down type?

I have an external battery holder with USB cable for AAA size rechargable/standard batteries for extending the battery life. My ipod 80Gb works more than 8 hours with that one.

Chip

Last edited:
Are we (in the USA at least) even allowed to run a GPS in a flying airplane? It's a radio receiver, which I understood was verboten to use in-flight. Or, do you also plan to turn off the receiver functionality when doing this and just run it as a player? (And, if so, how does one do that?)

(As for your original question -- How about one of those bean-bag things? I don't think TT has an official one, but there are many aftermarket items that are generic to anything that is meant to be attached with a suction-cup on a windshield. You'd have to set it on the tray table of course.)

airplane

Yes it can be used in an airplane it is not a transmitter it onle captures satelite signal but only if its near the window and does not interfere with airplane instruments I work for an airline so i can confirm.
I dought you will be able to see a movie at all! battery life will be limited.

Giorgio

Yes it can be used in an airplane it is not a transmitter it onle captures satelite signal but only if its near the window and does not interfere with airplane instruments I work for an airline so i can confirm.
Interesting. Giorgio is correct -- I found the FAA's rule on point. http://ntl.bts.gov/DOCS/91-21_1.html

I almost always fly on Northwest, and they've got a blanket rule that one cannot use any receiver on board (while flying), period. http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/specialitems.html I had presumed this was the FAA's rule as well, but obviously I was wrong! It would seem then that I won't be using my GPS on any NWA flights (window seat or not!), but you all can go have the fun!

Ask a Question