again, those dam unpaved roads

So, i like to use Gmaps or Harley Ride Planner to make riding routes, which ive done a few times successfully. But now i made a route and when i load it into my 720, i get that question "do you want to avoid unpaved roads?" Well since Gmaps and Harley Ride planner cant distinguish between paved or unpaved roads (even if i zoom in all the way in aireal mode), how can i see exactly what road is the unpaved portion? If my 720 knows which road is the unpaved one, how do i get it to show me so i can edit my route? It's saying one of my destinations/waypoints is on an unpaved road.

Last edited:
You might tell it yes to the unpaved roads question, and see what it changes.

You might also take a look at the route on the 720 in detail, and note the roads that appear to be non-major roads that might be unpaved. After you clear the route, browse the map in these areas and check these roads (if the route is still active, I believe the route color will mask the color of the minor/unpaved roads - unless the newer maps and device apps clearly note them).

The minor roads are usually colored differently then the major roads, although I have seen routes that are initially paved then turn to unpaved looking exactly the same on the map colors. You might want to avoid the minor roads for this reason. After identifying the ones on the initial route, you could select the alternate route mode and tell it to avoid those sections on you route.

Harley's do not work at all as off road bikes, and as my TomTom has taken me down roads that were a challenge for even 4 wheel drive, you should definitely be afe rather then sorry.

Note - one other and maybe better way - have a local detailed road map of the ares and it will usually clearly identify unpaved roads.

Hey Thanks for the reply GAW. Yes, ive selected that option to avoid the unpaved roads and it tells me a waypoint/destination is on the unpaved road. So it wont find an alternative. ugh! I just wish i knew which destination it is. Ive already been in the area once to ride a few of the roads (actually, i have a 1980 Honda CB750f) and one even dead ended because a bridge was out.... hmmm i cant remember that road. Hope it's not part of my route ;)
The road that my TT says is unpaved might even be paved by now, considering what ive read about the maps that TT uses in their units. The maps are outdated from what im gathering. My first test trip with my 720 sent me down a road that was never connected in 1956 to the other side of a valley,..... right:cool:

Ask a Question