Advice on USA map on Tom Tom

Hi I am due to go on holiday to San Francisco in Sept and would like to use my current sat nav which is a Tom Tom XL2
Its current map is UK but if possible I would like to add USA map if this is possible
The serial No for this Tom Tom is
GH7310K01489 or another number on back is 4ET0.002.02
Any advice would be very helpfull

USA map for Tom Tom

So what your saying is if I add my current map to my computer and save it then download the USA map on that link then add to Tom Tom

You need to MOVE your current map off the TomTom to make room first. You can do that in Home, but if you know how, it's easier to just move the whole UK or Europe map folder onto your PC using Windows Explorer.

Then you connect to Home and select "Purchase maps" in order to buy the new map and to download it to the TomTom.

I clicked on that link and added first 2 letters of serial code and then there was a drop down menu but no USA map

He's right you know, dhn...

I put "GH" in the model finder and it offered me this.
Are there no US maps that are smaller than 1GB any more?

attachment.php

Similarly, you don't get offered the usual Europe zones, only small regions and countries.

panicbuy... maps are getting bigger all the time and TomTom have either not got their act together yet to offer the smaller "zoned" maps they have made to all models (or worse still, maybe they have made an executive decision not to offer those maps for "regional" devices at all).

Another poor marketing decision on their part as far as I'm concerned!

Attachments

• MapShop_for_Serial_GH.jpg
    MapShop_for_Serial_GH.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 4,749
Which is what's worrying me.... I'm heading towards believing what I said in brackets in my previous post.

I wonder whether it is worth a gamble to purchase a map not meant for the device? We're seeing more and more lately that the installed app is throwing up error messages such as 'installed map won't work, etc .....'

So I guess not. :confused:

Yes, I do.....

It's just another black eye for TomTom when a device CAN handle a new map but WON'T be able to get it.

Didn't realize TT was that cash flush.......:rolleyes:

There's a reason that maps started to become device specific. Not only is there the issue of the memory model involved, there's the issue of whether a given unit's firmware supports IQRoutes, and there's no useful reason to waste all of the space with that data in the map for a small memory model unit if it can't make any use of it. And it's not actually just the map -- the POI situation is adjusted as needed in an attempt to get the map to fit.

None of that is to excuse the lack of segmentation necessary to deal with the problems we're seeing, but I certainly do understand why they had to branch the map builds to accommodate available memory and firmware features in their attempt to keep the whole map in a unit at once.

Ask a Question