Advance Lane Guidance

NMI

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom start
I've Just received my TomTom Start and was under the impression that when on any route I could have the map layout as the 'advance lane guidance' when opening the box and turning on the device, setting a location the map came up different and it doesn't seem to give me the option of the 'lane guidance' view.

How do I get this? and is it available on A roads? or is that viewing just for motoways??

No that is not a model number. What are the first 2 characters of the serial number of the device (it's found on the bottom of the device).

'lane guidance'
How do I get this? and is it available on A roads? or is that viewing just for motoways??
I think there are only two scenarios in which to get Advanced Lane Guidance.
The first is while physically driving on a road where there is an ALG point and the second during a Demo of such a planned route. (I don't know your device and have no idea if Demo mode is available to you.)

Here in Canada I have not experienced ALG on any A type road, only M and A(M) types. UK posters will soon chime in here and tell you about their experiences.

When I bought my 930 in 2008 one of the features offered was ALG.
I couldn't find it and contacting Customer Support they could not tell me of a single instance where it was available in Canada and that it was a map specific matter.
I told them that they could buy back my device at full price, including Sales Taxes, or, give me a written guarantee for a free map once they confirmed that the feature was on a Canadian map (part of USA_Canada_and_Mexico).
Three maps later they informed me that a new map with Canadian ALG was waiting for my downloading.
I did but did not see any instances on the 401 trough Toronto, an M type road, second busiest in North America.
Posting about the problem in this forum a Nova Scotia poster said that he had two instances where ALG was effective.
It took an additional two years before there were sufficient instances in this area to make it a desirable feature.

I read somewhere on here that the ALG only works in major cities,but I live just outside Columbia SC and I was going south on I-77 and when I got close to I-26 the ALG worked and it did it a few more times on the way home. I wouldn't call Columbia a major city,but hey the ALG worked. I have the Start 50M.

We're getting slightly side-tracked with other countries... In the UK, the lane guidance features are available on almost all motorway junctions and many A-roads.

First though, you need to be aware there are two separate things you may see. The actual "ALG" is when a number of arrows appear in the status bar, representing the lanes. That appears at most major junctions.
Then there is "Reality View" which is the full-screen cartoon-like picture of the junction with a large flashing arrow. That appears on almost all motorway junctions and many A-roads.

Now, having said all that, the Start "2" is one of the models that have reduced menu options and features, so you MAY not get one or other of the two parts of lane guidance.

You say you were "under the impression" it should work... Have you seen any pictures of the feature on the box, or in any advertising material for that model? If so, have you checked every preferences menu for anything that looks relevant?

Finally, you could try setting up an advance planning A-B route from just before a junction on the M1 that ends on the exit road, then choose "demo route" in the options when the overview of the route is shown. That should show the features if you have them and they're switched on.

Ask a Question