Adding POIs to existing POI categories

TomTom Model(s)
One
Hello All,

Say I've added POIs for Applebees or McDonald's, can I have those added POIs included under the existing restaurant POI? I added a McDonald (fast foods) POI and it shows as a separate POI and it would be great to be able to add POIs to existing categories.

Thanks!

Exsiting POi's

Are talking about the poi's in this forum or the ones preinstaled?
The ones in this forun yes you can add them. Do you have an address?
just turn on your tomtom go to change preferences then arrow anage poi's , add poi , mcdonalds, address,street number,city etc, then done.

Thanks for the reply. I'm asking if I can add POIs (in this forum for example) to existing preinstalled POI categories. I added a fast food POI and it contains McDonald POIs but the part I don't like is that this is a separate POI with a separate indicator symbol appearing on the map for this specific POI.

What I hope can be done is to have this fast food POI (for example) added to the preinstalled Restaurant POI so I would see the identical symbol (knife and fork) on the map (for preinstalled Restaurant and added fast food) and I could navigate to this POI category which would include preinstalled POIs and added POIs. Is this possible?

Thanks

POI Category

You can use a POI Editor, like POIedit 2007. Open an ov2 file and add the additional POIs to it. Create a new name for the category, and load it to the TT.

What he wants to do is edit the original POI category and add the custom one's to it. I haven't played around with the explorer application that allows to do this function. But Im not sure if this can be done.
I like to have it seperate.

...I like to have it seperate.

Pedro, so do you individually select all of the addon POI categories and have them displaying on your map? Does it look too cluttered with many POI categories?

It would be interesting to know how many different POI categories everyone has selected to be displayed on their map.

Thanks

Yes you can merge added POIs into prexisting ones.

Check out this link:
http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10873&pid=85826&st=0&#entry85826

None of the hyperlinks on the above page work so I didn't know the codes for the categories. But thanks to Battom's link above now we know the codes. Thanks!

As an example:
I downloaded the Sheetz POIs from this forum.
The code for Gas Station is 7311.
Open up Notepad, hit [enter] [enter] [enter] then [*7311]
Save the text file as Sheetz.inf
Copy this file to your maps directory.

I then reset the unit, not sure if this is needed or a shut down is good enough but after a power on the Sheetz locations now show up under Gas Stations.

would be interesting to know how many different POI categories everyone has selected to be displayed on their map.

In my case that would be "none". They really clutter up the map, especially when you zoom way out. If I ever want to see all the McDonalds as I drive around I'll activate the category then.

And often if I'm searching for something I find I get better results to search across all POI categories.

I also had tried to add new restaurants to the existing RESTAURANT category without success. Then I found an easy way of doing it. Through MAPSHARE.

Go to MAP CORRECTIONS then CORRECT A MAP ERROR. Then click ADD A MISSING POI. From there you can choose from all the categories. Click for example Restaurant and then add in the address and name of it. The good thing about this is that not only are you adding it to your TomTom but to everyone elses as well if you share it.

Hope this helps.

I haven't tried this but wonder if it would work to combine 2 POI categories, say retail stores and a downloaded category of Home Depot, into one called retail stores (but that includes the Home Depots not originally there):

1. use the online converter to change the ov2 files to csv

2. open the two csv files in excel (comma delimited files open there if I double click them)

3. copy both to a new one or add one's lines to the other's so one file is longer and contains all the info of both

4. save and then convert this file back to ov2 for tomtom

-----------------
Think it could work?

I haven't tried this but wonder if it would work to combine 2 POI categories, say retail stores and a downloaded category of Home Depot, into one called retail stores (but that includes the Home Depots not originally there):

1. use the online converter to change the ov2 files to csv

2. open the two csv files in excel (comma delimited files open there if I double click them)

3. copy both to a new one or add one's lines to the other's so one file is longer and contains all the info of both

4. save and then convert this file back to ov2 for tomtom

-----------------
Think it could work?
If these were custom POIs they would work.
There is a easy way to do this. Just open up one POI using POIedit. The select file, then append. A small open box will pop up and select the second POI file to add and both POI files are now merged! Just select save as to rename the file and your done.

Again this only works with custom POIs.

Yes you can merge added POIs into prexisting ones.

Check out this link:
http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10873&pid=85826&st=0&#entry85826

None of the hyperlinks on the above page work so I didn't know the codes for the categories. But thanks to Battom's link above now we know the codes. Thanks!

As an example:
I downloaded the Sheetz POIs from this forum.
The code for Gas Station is 7311.
Open up Notepad, hit [enter] [enter] [enter] then [*7311]
Save the text file as Sheetz.inf
Copy this file to your maps directory.

I then reset the unit, not sure if this is needed or a shut down is good enough but after a power on the Sheetz locations now show up under Gas Stations.
This is so :cool: I have a few things to try like checking to see if you can have a user POI show up in more than one category. This could get very interesting:D

I can handle doing it by hand but it would be nice if the POI editor was updates to automate it.

This is so :cool: I have a few things to try like checking to see if you can have a user POI show up in more than one category. This could get very interesting:D

I can handle doing it by hand but it would be nice if the POI editor was updates to automate it.

This does work great BUT.....one word of caution. If you create your own custom category, like "Sheetz", and you assign it to the Gas stations, it does indeed show up in The Gas Station category. If you have a custom icon for Sheetz, it will also show up on your map and it won't use the Gas Station icon.

However, when you in in an area and find a new Sheetz location that you want to ADD a new POI using your TomTom, there will be NO SHEETZ category to add it to. Even if you name it Sheetz, it won't use the icon you have for SHEETZ because the only thing the TomTom knows a category for (when you are adding 'on-the-fly) is the Gas Station category. The new Sheetz POI will use the Gas Station icon because the only category that is available is Gas Station....even if you use the same SHEETZ name as your other SHEETZ POIs.

It is that reason above that I simply keep my custom POI categories separated out from the standard categories.

Ask a Question