Adding Community Content (POI)

Good news! And it had nothing to do with calling CS!!

I was up to a list of the 6 or so issues to call them about, and have been busy so the call has not yet been made. However:

Yesterday I got prompted to d/l App updates and voila, some of my problems have gone away.

Mind you d/l the update was painful, even after it finished installing, MyTomTom wanted me to do it all over again (*sigh*), however, being the sceptic I am, I re-booted everything, PC and all, and everything is okay now with installing my own Community Content.

Still outstanding:
- No Europe maps as promised (don't really care though)
- TomTom can take up to 45 mins to find a RDS signal
-MyTomTom still wants me to install older map v8.70 over top of already installed newer map 8.80, but I just ignore that!

So, MyTomTom still sucks, but at least there is progress!

Rick, try moving the plastic egg thingy on the rds antenna so that it's as close as possible to the windshield. May improve the fm capture of the signal. Maybe. Or is your antenna built in to the windshield?

.....try moving the plastic egg thingy on the rds antenna.....

Thanks, but I've tried that, (not windshield model but egg thingy) and no luck. Its an odd problem, with the wire/antenna in the exact same position on the dashboard, sitting in my driveway, sometimes it finds the RDS signal within seconds of being on, sometimes its still looking 45 mins later. Its intermittent, and no discernable pattern to it that I can see.

One thing I *think* has helped, if it appears to be stuck searching for a signal, turning the unit off and on again usually works & signal is locked in within a few seconds.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm

Yeah, no kidding, eh?

Resetting the unit (hold the power button till you hear the drum sounds) may help speed up signal capture.

I should have known....

After forgetting this problem, because it went away for a few months...

Its back. Add community content says 0 mb Free space, so I can't upload any custom POI files.

*sigh* Reinstalls, resets did not help.

Also, today trying to look at "manage content" causes a windows error: "Could not load Manage Content Module"

Anyone with ideas?

PS: Have they fired the people responsable for this MyTomTom nonsense yet?

More likely promoted, Rick.

Andy should pop up here with his own experience of seeing space but being unable to use it. We could probably draw a direct parallel to his situation, but if you can't get the Manage Content to work without blowing up, there's no way to see how much memory availability is being reported there. You're the first example of that kind of error ("Could not load Manage Content Module") I think I've ever run across. I hesitate to guess whether that means trouble on the MyTomTom side, or the unit side - in this case, the unit supplies much of the content for the page, and who knows which side the error is pointing toward...

Canderson, just curious ..........

Do you have the link to the screen dumps screen to post here? I KNOW that there should not be anything there on a production unit but ........ :rolleyes:

More likely promoted, Rick.
Andy should pop up here with his own experience of seeing space but being unable to use it..

I thought of doing so, but then decided it was a subtly different problem.

My issue was that the bargraphs in MyTT were saying there WAS enough space, but if you tried to install anything (even a really small file) then it complained of no space available.

Removing an extra map that they had installed remotely solved the symptoms, but I never got a decent answer as to what the reason really was.

It could have been that MyTT was mis-reporting the actual space available, or that it was reporting it correctly, but the system needs a big chunk of free memory all the time.

Canderson, just curious ..........

Do you have the link to the screen dumps screen to post here? I KNOW that there should not be anything there on a production unit but ........ :rolleyes:
http://169.254.255.1/dumps/

He can take a peek there, but as you say, there really shouldn't be a thing there.

Rick... In case the above is all a bit mysterious:

Connect your GO 2565 to your computer (you can let MyTomTom run if it wants to).

Open a NEW browser window (Firefox, IE, or whatever you normally use)

Send the browser to http://169.254.255.1/dumps/ by putting that into the address bar.

It SHOULD come up with a blank page or "not found" message. If you see anything else, let us know!

.....but if you can't get the Manage Content to work without blowing up, there's no way to see how much memory availability

Thnx..

I can get the free space reported on the Manage Content screen (4066.25 mb) but under "Add Community Content" it says 0 free space. Which is appaently what is causing the inability to upload a custom POI file.

This exact problem occurred several months ago. However after d/l one of the mandatory software updates awhile back, poof! Free Space reported properly and I was able to upload my custom POI files again.

PS: That odd windows Load Module error has stopped after 3x complete uninstalls and re-installs.

Thanks for your help

.....It SHOULD come up with a blank page or "not found" message. If you see anything else, let us know!

Here's what Chrome said when I did that:

Error 500: Cannot open directory
Error: opendir(/dumps/): No such file or directory(2)

IE9 just gave a Cannot Display Page HTTP 500 error

So I guess two versions of "not found" I guess.

TomTom CS is apparently working on this now. I'll report back if there is any news.

Please can someone tell me where I find the 'Add Community Content' button? I assumes it would be under the 'My Tom Tom' tab, but it's not there:

tomtom1.jpg

As you can see, the device is also up to date. Why can't it be as easy as - My Computer > External Device ?

Thank you for any help.

When you connect to the computer, the 'Add Community Content' will appear in the DESKTOP MyTTSA icon, not on the website......

Please can someone tell me where I find the 'Add Community Content' button? I assumes it would be under the 'My Tom Tom' tab, but it's not there

Right click on the MyTomTom icon in your SysTray:

3797d1339596865-adding-community-content-poi-tomtom.png

Sorry this is so small!
(I made it bigger for you - Andy_P)

Attachments

• TomTom.png
    TomTom.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 517
Last edited by a moderator:
3 days of email exchanges with CS and totally useless suggestions on my issue and still no resolution.

Latest was they told me I must have exceeded the 98 limit of POI categories. But no, I only have the 60 or so pre-sintalled ones, plus 2 or 3 I created.

It is very annoying to be resolving this in once a night emails, probably because of the time difference, I get a solution suggestion at night around 9pm, I try it and respond immediately, but then never hear from them until around 9pm the next night.

Very slow process.

To keep everyone who cares up to date here's my most recent post to TomTom CS on their support forum:

Just for shits & giggles I tried something else. Instead of copying over one of my custom POI's (which I can still not do) I created a new category right on the device. I added in a few POI's and saved them, tested them on the device. All checks out.

I then loaded "Add Comm Content" and voila! The new set of POI's shows up, and I can copy it BACK onto my computer, but, as expected, MyTomTom still reports 0 Mb free space, and it will not let me load any POI file onto my device.

In the meantime, since the email from CS saying I must have exceeded the limit of 98 POI files (I do not) they seem to have abandonded my problem and have stopped answering my emails, or sending me any further instructions.

Ask a Question