Acquiring FM Traffic signal with XXL 540 TM

jsg

Hi,

Sometimes when the XXL 540 is powered up, the FM signal fails to come on, even though I am in a busy cosmopolitan area. If I do a soft reset, it comes back. This has happened several times, and, I think, it might have something to do with turning the engine on while the XXL 540 is on and receiving power from the corded power supply/FM receiver. Then again, this may have nothing to do with it.

Any fixes? Answers? Shared experiences?

Thanks,

Jerry

The 540 is really picky about the order in which you turn on the unit, attach the cord, connect to the cigarette lighter for the traffic antenna to be recognized.

I tend to find more success powering up the unit, attaching the cord to the unit and then plugging into the cigarette lighter (that is powered).

But even that sequence doesn't seem to work all the time and a reset usually does get the traffic antenna recognized, as you noted.

I had the same issue with the 540tm.. Seemed I was resetting the unit all the time.. I returned the unit amazon and purchased the 335tm.. The 335tm does not seem to have the resetting issues...

FM reception

The 540 is really picky about the order in which you turn on the unit, attach the cord, connect to the cigarette lighter for the traffic antenna to be recognized.

I tend to find more success powering up the unit, attaching the cord to the unit and then plugging into the cigarette lighter (that is powered).

But even that sequence doesn't seem to work all the time and a reset usually does get the traffic antenna recognized, as you noted.

Thanks for the tip. It actually works quite reliably if I turn the XXL 540 on first and then insert the plugging into the cigarette lighter.

Jerry

What works for me ....540TM

I just hook everything up....attach the plug the cable into the lighter, attach it to the unit, while the car is running, finally I power on the unit....no issues...works like a champ.

Jack

Receiver for XXL 540-TM - Where or where?

I just bought the XXL 540-TM on Amazon. I was excited about the Lifetime TRAFFIC feature.

Now I can't seem to find the Antenna. I see TomTom has it on their site for about $70 but says it's not available from them, with no information about where I get one!

Any ideas?

Also, can you use your mobile phone for an antenna instead?

I have xxl 540tm and lost my traffic this mornign also. I tried to do a soft reset by holding down the power button while the unit was on and keeping the power button down until the unit comes back up. The first time I went to a black background screen (like a bios screen) that had a lot of hardware type information. I continued to keep the power button down but I never left the black background screen. The second time I tried to do a soft reset it powered off then on and then i was right back in my route to work and still no traffic.

How do you do a soft reset and what do you expect to see different so that you know it was done successfully? Will I still have my favorites (home, work etc)

Also, now sure that i understand how to power up the unit so that I have less chance of lossing my traffic. are these the four steps
1) turn on unit while power cord is not connected
2) turn car on
3) plug cord into car lighter
3) plug cord into unit

I have xxl 540tm and lost my traffic this mornign also. I tried to do a soft reset by holding down the power button while the unit was on and keeping the power button down until the unit comes back up. The first time I went to a black background screen (like a bios screen) that had a lot of hardware type information. I continued to keep the power button down but I never left the black background screen. The second time I tried to do a soft reset it powered off then on and then i was right back in my route to work and still no traffic.

How do you do a soft reset and what do you expect to see different so that you know it was done successfully? Will I still have my favorites (home, work etc)

Also, now sure that i understand how to power up the unit so that I have less chance of lossing my traffic. are these the four steps
1) turn on unit while power cord is not connected
2) turn car on
3) plug cord into car lighter
3) plug cord into unit

You don't have to hold down the button that long. Just hold it down until the blue screen comes up.

You also don't have to follow such a strict procedure in terms of acquiring an FM signal. It doesn't matter whether you turn on the engine or the GPS first, as so long as the GPS cord is NOT plugged into the car lighter. The cord CAN be plugged into the GPS device, just not the car lighter. When shutting down I also unplug from the car lighter before turning off either the car or the GPS. Seems to work every time now for me.

Jerry

Ask a Question