accuracy question

I have the map that came with my TOMTOM 1 with numerous online TOMTOM updates.

I am tired of my vehicle showing up OFF THE ROAD. I would go for a map update but don't wish to add bad mapping to a bad map.

Any comments?

TomTom marketing speak does confuse a number of buyers. Their Mapshare feature does not add (or remove) any roads from the map display. You can make minor changes to the underlying map data, things like road name changes, speed limits, one-way street notations, that type of thing. But once you buy a new map, those changes you've made on your device are reset. Time to start over. And just because you made a change a few weeks or months ago and shared it with others does not mean it will be corrected in the next updated map. In no way is Mapshare a substitute for a new map and it's added roads, entry ramps or revised highway geometry. And when you do purchase and install a new map to your TomTom, it will overwrite the existing one, not simply add to it. So if you find yourself driving in fields on a regular basis, it's probably time for a new map.

Last edited:
I have the map that came with my TOMTOM 1 with numerous online TOMTOM updates.

I am tired of my vehicle showing up OFF THE ROAD. I would go for a map update but don't wish to add bad mapping to a bad map.

Any comments?
A little more info would help.

Are you showing up "off road" due to new roads that post-date your map, or are you having trouble with showing up off to the side of an existing road?

If the former, give us a spot to check and we can all go look at TeleAtlas and see if perhaps they've added the roads that would help you (those will either be in the TomTom map set now or in the future).

If the latter, there could be some real geolocation issues, and we might be able to have a look at that, too. Where is the problem happening?

Ask a Question