Accepting video input

TomTom Model(s)
GO910
Might it be possible to get the tomtom to accept a video input from a backup camera somehow? I imagine the unit could be tweaked to display it if there was some way to input it. On the dock next to the power plug is a port for what I assume is an exterior antenna, but there is another port, though is this one just a blank?

The Home Dock or the Mount?
If you're talking about the mount, the port is for the Ipod cable or the TMC Receiver

Pedro2NR said:
I think it requires opening the bad boy up and something else...

Hmm.

How about just streaming a suitably low-bandwidth signal into the TomTom via the built-in bluetooth capability, along with a program on the TomTom that can then grab that data stream from the bluetooth and display it on the screen?

That is certainly more than adequate to create, for instance, a back-up camera for use while in reverse gear. I don't know how pleasant it would be to watch a full-length motion picture on it, though...

- Brian

has anyone seen this picture at clubtomtom?

blog2TP.jpg

I wonder what is plugged into the 720?

http://wiki.opentom.org/TODO_list

Things that have been done

* make TomTom GO work as USB Host
* port framebuffer driver to 2.6
* port sound driver to 2.6
* make Bluetooth kernel & usermode stuff work
* develop a free SD Card driver
* create a proof of concept MP3 player (and other formats) Proof-of-concept media player image
* SDL
* use a USB camera as back view camera for your caravan or something
* port TomTom GO specific drivers to 2.6 (done by TomTom :)
* create a framebuffer text console vith a virtual keyboard. See TomTom Console

may be possible with the ipod imput has anyone with the ipod connecter tryed playing vids from their ipod on the tomtom

also from what ive read the sixth generation ipods (aka "classic") use a special chip in their cord to prevent third party cords from working so a generation 5 or 5.5 ipod video would be the best model ipod to check if the tt can accept vid through the ipod port

edit - i didnt see two posts above me my comp musta had a brainfart the first time i loded the page

Last edited:
Forget that, I want to see how he straps it to his bumper.....LOL. I agree, it has to be possible, question is how to get the video stream into the unit. I ran across a program (paid) the other day that claims to allow you to view videos saved on the card. Essentially you could watch movies on the unit... not sure how the police would view this, but looks like it works.

so has anyone figgured this one out? I would very much like to be able to get a backup camera and use it without the additional screen. TomTom could even make the cable and add the software as a plugin for the 900 series and above.

Ask a Question