A road that has the power to make my XL freeze?

Ok, so this problem seems very bizarre to me, and I would have chalked it up to coincidence if it hadn't happened several times now.

There is a stretch of road (Susquehanna Rd/Rt.2017, in Oreland, PA, between Limekiln Pike/Rt.152 and Fitzwatertown Rd., if anyone is curious) that is impossible to route onto or off of. That is, no routes that turn onto or off Susquehanna along that stretch will calculate; it will merely say "Error" and go to the blank blue No Route summary. I have ensured that all of the turn permissions are allowed for the intersecting roads, and none of this road is set to one-way or blocked. That would be annoying enough, but here is the interesting part: even with no route set, my device refuses to drive on that road. Once I turn onto it, the GPS freezes, and then resets about 15 seconds later; when it boots back up, it takes considerably longer to lock onto satellites than it does in any other circumstance.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? This just started happening about two weeks ago, so it isn't connected to any map/firmware changes. It's not a huge problem, as I only pass through there a few times a week, so I'm asking mainly because I am puzzled...

Have you tried to "fix" it with MapShare - starting at the beginning of the road?

Conversely - maybe someone else did an erroneous MapShare entry that you downloaded. What are your MapShare settings ?

When you Browse Map when you are nowhere near it - does it show up on the map ? When I am on a stretch of new road not on the map, the car icon drifts along until it gets close to a mapped road, but it does not shut down.

Roswell in Pennsylvania !

Does that stretch of road have different markings than a normal road? It might have been set by somebody as a private road in a mapshare and TomTom will NOT use private roads.

You can try to temorarily remove ALL mapshare corrections, do a pin reset, and see what happens.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not a Mapshare issue. I have it set to accept changes from many users, but not few users. As for the road itself, it's a major thoroughfare, and looks normal on the Tomtom's map (no sections of dotted line). I've experienced driving on new roads that haven't yet been added to the map, and yeah, it just drifts along and snaps to other roads, but it doesn't freeze and reset the device like this.

Oh, and one other thing. If I set a route that only includes that road (no turns on/off), it works fine. It's only the transitions to and from it that cause problems. Even if turns were not 'allowed' here (which they are, both on the actual road, and in the Tomtom's turn permissions), it aught to figure out what's going on pretty soon and continue down the road without any snags -- that's what happens anywhere else, anyway.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've tried routing it as a bicycle or walking route too, just in case something was set as a private or one way road, and that made no difference.

Twilight Zone !

Weird, I was just in Carnegie and Pittsburgh last week on business travel. I would have loved to go around that road and see what's up. Do you know coordinates of that street? or nearby crossroads? I want to see if I can replicate that problem on that road.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? This just started happening about two weeks ago, so it isn't connected to any map/firmware changes. It's not a huge problem, as I only pass through there a few times a week, so I'm asking mainly because I am puzzled...
Could you please provide an example of an address, destination, or a set lat/long coords, which cause the error to occur (for us to try & duplicate it)?
Also, what map name & version are you using?

R?

Well, I did a mapshare update this evening, and it seems the problem has gone away. I'll have to try it on the road, but at least right now it can plan routes through there, which it wouldn't before. I suppose I'll never figure out what was causing it to actually lock up there.

If anyone is interested, the coords for the road were N 40d08'06", W 75d09'26".

It sounds like to have it shut off - you have to be physically driving there. it sounds like it is all there on the map otherwise.

Ask a Question