A question on upgrading maps

Hi guys.... Newbe here so go easy on me please...lol

I have a Tomtom go 300 and would like to update my maps for it.
I only have a very slow Dial-up internet connection so I don't use the Tomtom home. A friend gave me the v720.1802 US & Canada map and said to just copy it to your Tomtom SD card.

I tried that and it said "No maps found" after booting it up and wouldn't let me into the Tomtom menu. I tried to do some reading on this site when I stumbled upon it and read that I need to update my operating system first before being able to run the v720 maps. So I tried updating to the 7.221 operating system.

After putting the card back in my tomtom and booting it up it went dark after the booting screen.

So I went back to my original setup that I previously backed-up.

Any help would be appreciated.... :confused:

Thanks.

Unfortunately, maps are locked to a specific device. Meaning, even if you had a 720, your friend's map would not work.

I think it's time you put a newer model TomTom on your Christmas list. :D

Newer models have more features, better maps, etc.

Yeh... That was my wife's answer also... lol

I paid $670.00 for it new and now they are about 1/3 the cost that they were back when I bought the go 300.

Our Verizon cell phone has GPS capability for $10.00 a month but haven't tried it yet, however the only thing with it is the screen is allot smaller than the Tomtom.

I guess I will have to decide which route to go... Any recommendations on which model to get?

Ask a Question