A question for our friends in the North West

TomTom Model(s)
ONE V4
I'm going to Portland, Or this weekend and would like to know from someone in the area if the 6.65 maps are reliable. I've noticed that in some parts of the country it's spot on, others it's a crap shoot on accuracy. I'm using the USA&Canada map now but would upgrade to the North American if anyone in the Portland area has noticed a difference.

I was up in Portland this last Sunday (6/24/07)

I'm going to Portland, Or this weekend and would like to know from someone in the area if the 6.65 maps are reliable. I've noticed that in some parts of the country it's spot on, others it's a crap shoot on accuracy. I'm using the USA&Canada map now but would upgrade to the North American if anyone in the Portland area has noticed a difference.

Getting to my destination in Southeast Portland was uneventful, but when leaving, things got weird. I have no clue why my TT1 v2's navigation engine does what it does.

You might assume that the same route that got me there so easily, would be the preferred route back out of town. But Nooooooo! I got sent through a maze of narrow, stop sign controlled streets to get to an entirely different freeway entrance, a couple of miles North of where I came in.

Ok, so being the skeptic that I am about the navigation skills of my TT1, I totally rechecked the routing preferences to make sure that I was using "Fastest", then backtracked to see if I would be deflected off the route I used to get to Portland's Reed College in the first place. I even dropped the current route and reentered my destination. Nope! My TT1 wasn't having any of it.

I manually navigated back to the I5 freeway via the same uneventful route that brought me to my initial destination. I didn't have a single bit of problem.

As to whether this was an isolated incident or not...go figure. I wouldn't advise upgrading the maps until you get more proof that you are being mislead by your device. I've tried the 6.75 map set, and was underwhelmed. Yes, more POI info, but the maps in my region (Southwestern Oregon) didn't seem to be much...if any, improved. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)... And THAT's no joke!

As to whether this was an isolated incident or not...go figure. I wouldn't advise upgrading the maps until you get more proof that you are being mislead by your device. I've tried the 6.75 map set, and was underwhelmed. Yes, more POI info, but the maps in my region (Southwestern Oregon) didn't seem to be much...if any, improved. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)... And THAT's no joke!

I think the quality of the 6.75 mapset all depends on your region. I also have the 6.75 North America maps and they are FAR better in my area then the older maps. I'm actually amazed at how good they are as we have MANY new roads in our area. The POIs are very good too. Just about all of the newer businesses are there.

I think it depends on if TeleAtlas has 'been through' your area recently.

Ask a Question