A Gong Sound and strange icon???

I'm new to the TomTom ONe and I've notice that on occassion, I get a Gong Alarm sound and a strange icon will appear at the top left of the map: a white box with an EKG like symbol in it with numbers underneath- - 2.4 or 5.4 or 1.3, etc. Typically the numbers will fluctuate up and down. Then it will disappear altogether. I've tried the manual and google but can find no reference of this. You guys are my last resort. Any ideas????

I'm new to the TomTom ONe and I've notice that on occassion, I get a Gong Alarm sound and a strange icon will appear at the top left of the map: a white box with an EKG like symbol in it with numbers underneath- - 2.4 or 5.4 or 1.3, etc. Typically the numbers will fluctuate up and down. Then it will disappear altogether. I've tried the manual and google but can find no reference of this. You guys are my last resort. Any ideas????

I have a 920 and noticed a similar sound after I upgraded to the new Navcore 8 version. On my unit it happens if I exceed the speed limit by 5mph. The speed limit icon is located on the lower right corner of the 920. I'm not sure about the EKG symbol on your unit but the sound definitely matches.

Not sure about your Gong sound but it could be that you have one of your safety preferences set to warn you when you are near a school, church, etc etc. or some other warning that you chosen the Gong is the sound you have selected .

The EKG ?? ( could this be EPT,Ehanced Positioning Technology ) in the white box I think is your unit trying to find the satellites, the numbers going up and down is your unit finding say 2 out of 4, 4 out of 6 etc.etc. satellites.

It has to establish a triangular fix for your unit to lock in to your position.

Is this white box happening when you are inside or someplace where you don’t have a clear shot at the sky.

I am not sure if your unit has the ( EPT ) Ehanced Positioning Technology as it is different than min but I think it might.

Last edited:
Not sure about your Gong sound but it could be that you have one of your safety preferences set to warn you when you are near a school, church, etc etc. or some other warning that you chosen the Gong is the sound you have selected .

The EKG ?? ( could this be EPT,Ehanced Positioning Technology ) in the white box I think is your unit trying to find the satellites, the numbers going up and down is your unit finding say 2 out of 4, 4 out of 6 etc.etc. satellites.

<snip>

So that's what EPT stands for!! I've seen those initials before but the only thing I could think of was, "Early Pregnancy Test"... and I knew that was wrong. :D

Gong Sound

Comes from a preset alert. I had my unit set to warn me if I went over the speed limit but had to disable as it made too much noise. I can't understand why??? ;)

I just got a One 125 and have a very similar thing on mine; not sure what an EKG symbol is, but when I'm at a certain spot on a certain freeway, in the top left corner I get a white box with what looks like a USB port symbol. It also has numbers below it that will scroll down. And it is accompanied by a gong-like sound also.

I have most of my POIs off, so I don't think that's it. It not a favorite... I dunno what it is!!

Is there a listing of the icons and what they mean anywhere? I find TomTom's website sorely lacking :(

Thanks for any help :D

Eric B. aka smokeydog

If you are SURE it's not a poi and associated warning, then it's probably a safety preference warning. Check that list.

I'll try that tonight. I'm going to un-check all my POIs and I think all my safeties are already off.

Pretty sure it's none of the above but I'll sure give it a shot!!

Really, tho, it looks like the USB symbol on the plug or a computer mouse or digital camera or something...

I'll let y'all know what happens!!

Thanks.

Well, I un-clicked ALL POIs, I never had any of the SAFETIES on but it still did it.

I prepared myself(!) for it by moving over and slowing down and... it's not a USB symbol at all... I'm not sure what an EKG symbol looks like, but I guess that could be it.

Also, I tapped the icon when it appeared and it popped-up a mini-icon in the center of the freeway. There's an HOV lane that runs with this fwy, but it doesn't start or finish there...

What the heck is this thing?!!?

Like I said, it ONLY happens on THIS road and pretty much exactly in the same spot everytime. Maybe a TomTom store?!

Eureka!

Planning Preferences-->(you know, 'fastest', 'shortest' etc., go through the selections and on the 3rd screen (I think) is a new reference to HOV lanes (always avoid, ask, never avoid). This new references to HOV is in 8.3 firmware.

I think dhn hit the nail on the head as usual :D

Way to go dhn !

As for

I'm not sure what an EKG symbol looks like, but I guess that could be it.

I think you are refering to EPT not EKG

That will show up where your satalight bars are when you loose SAT connection.

When your GO is using EPT to estimate your location, the EPT icon
ept.gif
is shown on the status bar.

Last edited:
I think dhn hit the nail on the head as usual :D

Way to go dhn !

As for

I think you are refering to EPT not EKG

That will show up where your satalight bars are when you loose SAT connection.

When your GO is using EPT to estimate your location, the EPT icon
ept.gif
is shown on the status bar.

Wow, it really does look like an EKG symbol.:eek:

Alright, went to a X-Mas party last night, went that way... and with my wife's assistance.... we figured it out.

Traffic cameras :D

Off the fwy near there, it did it again coming up on an intersection and could kinda get a good look at it. It's a vertical traffic light with a small box to the lower left of the icon that represents the camera (yeah, it's a crowded little icon!!). Anyway, the intersection had a camera and it was letting me know :D Must be one below the fwy when I pass.

And now we know :D

You're welcome :p :D

(but it sure doesn't have many loaded in there- there are LOTs of those in Houston, one right near my house... gonna have to update!!)

there is a POI preferences.. 'warn when approaching pois'.. and
in the 930 you can configure your own warning. either text to speech (it will say redlight camera 120 meters'... for example. Or you can assign a 'gong'. sound to it.

So that's what EPT stands for!! I've seen those initials before but the only thing I could think of was, "Early Pregnancy Test"... and I knew that was wrong. :D

So that's why there's been a baby boom in the silicon valley the last few years! All those GPS users! ;)

Sorry, I can't resist

EKG symbol and a gong sound - Code Blue for Cardiac Arrest.

Ask a Question