A couple of Back Up Questions

1) If I do a back up using Tom Tom Home, can I view the backup with explorer.

2) How are you folks backing up using windows explorer? I'm using Backup now, but nothing is happening.

The only reliable backups are with Explorer. Ensure hidden folders/files are showing and name the back up folder on your computer something meaningful. Backups s/b made prior to and after every firmware and map upgrade.

Don't rely on Home's backup/Restore functionality. Been known to cause issues ...........

1) If I do a back up using Tom Tom Home, can I view the backup with explorer.

2) How are you folks backing up using windows explorer? I'm using Backup now, but nothing is happening.

Go in the setup of the TTHome where you can view the configuration of TTH. You will see there the directory where the backup is placed.

For the backup with Windows Explorer (which BTW is more reliable), create a directory on the PC, go to the TT, select all files and directories, select the menu edit/copy, go to the directory on the PC, select the menu edit/paste, and wait till the end of the operation. All the files from the TT should be copied (not moved!) to the PC.
When finished, best is to burn the copy also on DVD.

--pilsit

Are you doing backups by right clicking the drive, select properties, tools, back up now? That feature is not working for me.

No, I open Windows Explorer, move to the drive TomTom represents, highlight everything (files and folders)by doing a Ctl-A, then Ctl-C to copy and use Explorer to move to a folder you've created on your hard drive, highlight it and Ctl-V to paste.

Are you doing backups by right clicking the drive, select properties, tools, back up now? That feature is not working for me.
not at all, as I wrote, open the drive, select all files (ctrl-a), right click and select copy - go to directory, right click and select paste.

--pilsit

Thank you for the quick response. I shoult have read PILSITs first response! Sorry for not paying attention there. I was too distracted getting the backup to work (which I did, now that I don't need it!)

I'm contemplating going back to the old APP (8.010) and the Old Map. I found the thread on downgrading APPs. The problem is I have the new North America map. I need to see if the old map is on my home PC. I'm pretty sure it is since I did a Home backup before I got the new map.

Ask a Question