930T compared to 920 (Compass)

I have just purchased a new TomTom Go 930T, which is running on firmware/software 8.x.
I am very satisfied, except one thing: the COMPASS.

I loved the previous version (7.0) in which you could customize the COMPASS.
I used to point the COMPASS to the destination (NOT to North!), so at a glance I could have a sense of where I was to go. Moreover I could see the how many miles (direct line) to destination.

Now, on formware 8.0 everything is disappeared! Compass only points to North...no numbers inside the Compass, no customization. Even the size of the compass is much smaller....

Why is this? Why the designer killed the Compas function? They could at least keep Compass as an option, instead of depriving of the best features!

Is there any way to regain the Compass full features and functionality?
Alternatively can I downgrade my software to 7.0 (Co 930T)?

Thanks a lot
allesim

You are not alone is missing the functionality of the N7 compass. You can regain **some** functionality by enabling the 'direction' option on the status bar preference. If activated, you'll now see the direction of travel, not within the compass like N7, but on the status bar --- in letters (N,SE, etc.) and degrees.

Better than nothing, I suppose........:(

I did not get to experience the 'old compass' bec. I started with 930 8.010.

But I think I get the same functionality as what you were getting.

1. My car's arrow always points towards the 'Direction' of vehicle movment.

2. I set the map so that 'upper portion is pointing towards direction of where I'm going'. So the map rotates accordingly as as I take a turn. And the car arrow always points to where I'm going.

3. Now, My compass is a compass which always points to the north (when the car moves.. ). So quick glance at the compass will tell me where the actual noth is.

4. The distance to destination, time to distination, other features, are on the status bar.

5. Zooming out the map will tell me where my intended destination is.

They must have thought the compass by definition should always point to the north. To use it otherwise, it won't be a compass anymore... but direction indicator..

I have just purchased a new TomTom Go 930T, which is running on firmware/software 8.x.
I am very satisfied, except one thing: the COMPASS.

I loved the previous version (7.0) in which you could customize the COMPASS.
I used to point the COMPASS to the destination (NOT to North!), so at a glance I could have a sense of where I was to go. Moreover I could see the how many miles (direct line) to destination.

Now, on formware 8.0 everything is disappeared! Compass only points to North...no numbers inside the Compass, no customization. Even the size of the compass is much smaller....

Why is this? Why the designer killed the Compas function? They could at least keep Compass as an option, instead of depriving of the best features!

Is there any way to regain the Compass full features and functionality?
Alternatively can I downgrade my software to 7.0 (Co 930T)?

Thanks a lot
allesim
Nothing we can do, since NavCore 8 released, many complaint about this but Tomtom seems doesn't care much. I guess we just have to get used to it and maybe some good, sunny Sunday, Tomtom suddenly release another firmware that brings back NC7 compass :)

The N7 compass was one of the best features of the device. I also had the compass point to the destination. This is extremely useful when you are entering complicated interchanges and need to make a split second decision where to go. The compass in this mode orients you to your destination and in conjunction with your heading gives you excellent orientation.
I am really ticked off at TomTom because they had fully functioning code which they could have easily included in the original N8 release but then subsequently in the latest release. The amount of memory space the compass code occupied was probably negligible and I would gladly give up a number of useless features to have the compass back. What's worse is that TomTom doesn't seem to give a dam.
Regardes, MM

Compass Question - GO 730

I'm new to TomTom and see a lot of issues being discussed with the compass, but none seem to match the issue I'm having.

My software is 8.3. I have both 'show compass' and 'show direction' enabled under preferences. The heading shows is degrees (0 - 359) and the compass direction is displayed very small under that. The weird thing is that if I'm headed anywhere between 270 - 90 (NW - NE) the direction doesn't display at all - only degrees. As soon as I hit the LOWER half of the compass (91 - 269, or SE - SW) I see BOTH the heading and direction.

Has anyone else see this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Ask a Question