920T reboots after engine start

Like it says on the tin, my 920T reboots when i get back in my van and start the engine, quite anoying because it takes a while to get going which means i maybe can't get going, when i say reboot it goes to the screen with the disc and the yellow bar and then the boot screen which all takes a while... i also have to agree to the agreement every time, what can i do to fix this?

things i tried so far in order :-

reset
hard reset
rolled back to an earlyer backup
reinstalled Home
pulled hair and stamped feet
gave up.

help!
thanx.

My first reaction is that the power to your cig lighter or powerpoint is not active when the engine is lost along with the suspicion that your battery in the unit just isn't charged sufficiently to provide power when not connected to the car.

When the unit is not connected to the car, do you keep it charged in the house by being docked to the usb connection?

When you tap the satellite bars, what does it appear to show how much power is in the battery?

When you tap the satellite bars, what does it appear to show how much power is in the battery?
Yes, the battery is fine.

Battery is allways fully charged when this occures (or near enough) the vehicle power goes off when i remove the key, the unit then uses battery, when i start the van after a number of minuets (unit it's still working fine) and then it drops to load screen, disc screen, load screen, legal acceptance... this takes a while.

So it's some kind of bug relating to the charger power not being there and then being there, this is only a problem when the unit is on of course, but it never used to be a problem before The Update... :rolleyes:

I know i can turn the unit off each time to avoid this issue but i get in and out a lot and really shouldn't have to.

I'm thinking of formating the damn thing and starting from scratch.

Would i have a problem with the new map i bought? or anything else?

thanx.

Last edited:
oh i also get an occasional error message about not being able to save settings to map file, or some thing like that.

basicly it's behaving very strange.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then try formatting the internal drive. Finally, use Explorer and copy back to the unit the files/folders you backed up. See if that helps.

Does this occur after the tomtom connects to your cell phone via Bluetooth?? My TomTom does the same restart after it anounces that it is connected to my phone. :mad:

thanx for the advice.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then try formatting the internal drive. Finally, use Explorer and copy back to the unit the files/folders you backed up. See if that helps.
should i try the home backup first and save an explorer copy in case of failure? i feel that errors on the device probably are to blame, wouldn't i just be replacing the problem if i return a direct copy :confused:

Does this occur after the tomtom connects to your cell phone via Bluetooth??
no.

Never use Home to make a backup. Use Explorer........

If the problem persists after the deletion and reformatting and restoring (using Explorer), well, you're no further behind.

reboot

This is exactly what is happening ot me after the latest updates. Make sure you clear the route before you shut down. It seems to happen when more things are loaded on the unt memory like cell phone, blue tooth, traffic etc. i would not format your unit. I feel it still will have this problem. I am hoping an upgrade will solve this problem. it was working so well before the latest download. I beg however that tomtom users to email support of this problem. The more complaints the faster they may have a fix.

ok

Contact us

Although TomTom is dedicated to providing answers to your questions online, you may want to contact one of our Customer Support representatives.

To contact our Customer Support team, please create a MyTomTom account and then choose whether you want to contact us by email or phone.

By email
We give support in 13 languages via email. You can write to us in: English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Czech and Polish.

We can answer your question more quickly and efficiently if you give us as much detail as possible when you contact us.
Go to Online Help.
Select your TomTom product.
Select your model.
Select your question category.
Click on contact us at the bottom of the page or at the bottom of a proposed answer.
Login with your email address.
Submit your question to our Customer Support team.

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

it was working so well before the latest download. I beg however that tomtom users to email support of this problem. The more complaints the faster they may have a fix.
While you wait for an update to resolve this issue why not roll the device back to the earlier Navcore that used to work? f you can remember the version number you want we can supply a download link and instructions about installing it without using TT Home - Mike

Ask a Question