920 with Verizon 8830 Data Question

I am looking to buy the 920 and I would really like to be able to us the plus service with my Verizon 8830. I have unlimited data and I would be willing to add the tethering 8830 to my plan if I can just confirm that someone has this working. So if anyone has this combination working please just let me know.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Spend some time searching these forums. I'll be getting a BB8830 with Verizon in several weeks. From what I have read on the forums, you can get the plus services to work.

Frankly, at this point I do NOT know what kind of plan I have with Verizon 8830 but probably do NOT have TETHERING. I have their unlimited "data" like internet browsing and email (but that may be separate from tethering). I just got the phone last week and will probably head to a shop this week to see if I can find out more info.

I have not gotten DATA (traffic/weather) to work. I have futzed with various settings.

The 920 did copy my photobook (contacts) and it will use Bluetooth to both call and answer calls.

One thing it apparently will not do, it Tone Dialing - where you need to enter extra digits on some menu systems.

My research has found that you have to have tethering enabled by Verizon at $15.00 per month for the traffic and other plus services to work. This tethering also enables you to use your phone as a modem for your laptop to connect to the internet. It's just another way for Verizon to stick it to the customer.

Spend some time searching these forums. I'll be getting a BB8830 with Verizon in several weeks. From what I have read on the forums, you can get the plus services to work.

wbwjr - I have been searching the forums for a few hours, I just haven't seen conclusive evidence that it does indeed work with the Verizon 8830 as long as you have the correct feature (tethering).

So if there is anyone that has it working just let me know. Thanks again for your help.

wbwjr - I have been searching the forums for a few hours, I just haven't seen conclusive evidence that it does indeed work with the Verizon 8830 as long as you have the correct feature (tethering).

So if there is anyone that has it working just let me know. Thanks again for your help.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5018.

Try this thread and read posts 3,7,25 and 28. To me it looks like the 8830 will work. Buy the 920 from Costco and get your phone enabled for tethering. The nice thing about Costco is that they have a very liberal return policy, so if you can't get it to work that will be the solution. I guarantee you when I receive my BB 8830 in a couple of weeks I will not stop until I can get it to work! By the way, the 920 is a wonderful unit.

Traffic Plus Service with GO920

I?ve tried using Sony z520a and Blackberry 8800, but unsuccessful, but I kind of wondered if anyone with AT&T Service had any success with this. Please advice how they?ve use Traffic Plus service using base GO920.

I just wanted to let anyone know who was looking at this thread that data services do work with the Verizon 8830 Blackberry. I have the tethering service (which you need) After that you can follow the instuctins that other have posted for verizon phones. Got the 920 at costco and loving it so far.

So you added the additional approx $15.00 extra data service and got the BT stuff to work such as Traffic/Weather?? I guess I'm not inclined at the moment to up my monthly yet more money!!!!!!

I wonder if there is a by the megabyte plan - supposedly Traffic does not involve tons of data????

So you added the additional approx $15.00 extra data service and got the BT stuff to work such as Traffic/Weather?? I guess I'm not inclined at the moment to up my monthly yet more money!!!!!!

I wonder if there is a by the megabyte plan - supposedly Traffic does not involve tons of data????

Yes you need the $15 extra service to tether the blackberry. This allows you to use you blackberry as a modem with computer etc. It is a shame that I pay almost $50 for unlimited Data usage (b/c I have my BB connected to BES) and then have to pay another $15 for tethering but that is out of my hands unless I switch carriers.

Just bought a 920T and love it. I have a Verizon WorldWide 8830 Blackberry. When I try to connect bluetooth the phone recognizes the TT but the TT doesn't recognize the phone. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Just bought a 920T and love it. I have a Verizon WorldWide 8830 Blackberry. When I try to connect bluetooth the phone recognizes the TT but the TT doesn't recognize the phone. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Make sure you go under bluetooth optoins (for the 8830) and make sure the phone discoverable.

Worked.. Thanks! I can't get my phonebook to transfer though... Any ideas? Do I have to turn something on in my BB settings?

Worked.. Thanks! I can't get my phonebook to transfer though... Any ideas? Do I have to turn something on in my BB settings?

When I firest did it I didn't have the blackberry discoverable and not all the options worked so I erased it from the TomTom and added back in. After that all seemed to work and I was able to transfer my contacts from blackberry to TomTom. Go into the Tomtom bluetooth options and delete the profile for the 8830. Then add it back, Give it a shot.

Under Bluetooth options on the 8830, go to paired devices. Select the Go 920, , then select full menu, then options and check to see if Address Book Transfer is enabled or disabled. My company locked down are bluetooth file transfers, so I can't transfer the address book to the 920. At least my traffic services still work.

Ask a Question