920 mount won't stick

I have been having this problem for months, but just can't live with it any more. I've had the 920 for about a year, and though reasonably satisfied with the 920, I just cannot stand the mount. The mount ALWAYS comes off while I'm driving. I've cleaned the mount itself, the interior window -- nothing works. Are there alternative mounts so that I can keep the darn thing up on the windshield? I can't stand this anymore.

Have you seen the newer Easy Port mount that TT are offering, It sticks far better, the device simply slides on to the attachment points:

When closed flat it is also much easier to take with you rather than leaving it in the vehicle, even attached to the device it will fit in a pocket/ bag:

- Mike

It is very important that after you clean it, dry it completely before putting it on
I have my mount on the windshield for a year and never fall off!!!
(TomTom 920T original mount)

Mine has fallen off a number of times as well, but then I learned to really lean into it when sticking it to the windshield; hasn't fallen off since - over a week ago.

I also purchased a second mount for another vehicle, and it hasn't fallen off yet either. Arkon Mounts. I purchased the TT112 combo pack from The GPS Store, but the new TT EasyPort mount looks pretty slick too.

Thx for the replies... I have done the things suggested, but it simply fails to work. I'm not confident in the new mount, as it appears to be based on the same type of suction technology. Any testimonials on it?

You would think for the money TomTom would provide a secure mount. Since they don't, Ram-mount will mount anything anywhere.

A mistake many make is to attach the unit to the mount and then try to attach the mount to the windshield. Attach the mount first.

You might check the suction cup for any tiny holes. That happened to my first easport mount, I put superglue over the hole and it worked fine.

mounts

I have a 920 tomtom.. I reallly don't like the windshield mounts. I preferr the dash round disks. Actually I put a few disks on top of each other so I can get better angles when installed. What I did was to purchase the
3M fastner material of 2 pound use. I first place this fastner material right on the suction cup first mostly on the outer 1/2 of the suction cup and the other side of the fastener on the round disk. Now its so easy to mount and take off . Its a pleasure. It stays forever on long trip. For $2 you should try this trick. I would imagine that with the strong velcow material it would work the same. You should try this easy fix. I like tom tom to be closer to me when driving and thats why I like the disk on the dash.

The answer to the mount that won't stick

Eureka. After much searching I found the answer to the mount that won't stick. Here it is for the world to see. Pull its ears forward!. According to Cant make Tomtom mount stick to anything - FixYa all you have to do is pull the two lugs on the plastic sucker forwards as you screw up the mount. It's a little tricky with the fingers, but it really does work.
I have absolutely no idea WHY it works, but I'll leave that question for someone else.

Eureka. After much searching I found the answer to the mount that won't stick. Here it is for the world to see. Pull its ears forward!. According to Cant make Tomtom mount stick to anything - FixYa all you have to do is pull the two lugs on the plastic sucker forwards as you screw up the mount. It's a little tricky with the fingers, but it really does work.
I have absolutely no idea WHY it works, but I'll leave that question for someone else.

I guess pulling the ears back creates a tighter seal.

Ask a Question