920 Map Update

TomTom Model(s)
Go920
Any ideas on this?

Could not update my new 920 to map 7.20 due to dial up service. TT sent me a DVD with the map. Followed the instructions to install;

hooked up 920 to computer and turned on
When Home came up I deleted the old ver 7.10
put dvd into drive and opened
took the one folder contained and dropped it onto the drive representing my 920
map installed and I diconnected

Checked the 920 and it has the new map installed 7.20 and everything is working fine

However when I check through HOME to see contents of My Go there are no maps showing?

Check with Windows Explorer and there are no maps showing?

Any idea as to how I get the map to show on the directory?

If indeed 720 is installed properly (you can check by tapping the satellite bars, the first screen will show the firmware version and tapping that screen shows the map version installed), you can try ...

Some suggestions:
1. Do a pin reset on the unit
2. Try the clear flash tool located here: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4
3. Uninstall TTHome software, and reinstall.

Having said that, TTHome is notorious for showing the wrong information about what's on the unit; I wouldn't sweat that. It's the comment about Explorer not seeing the map that is unclear to me. Use Explorer to show the contents of your NA map folder. You'll see a file called North_America.pna. Open it with Notepad (it's a text file). The 3rd line shows the map version installed.

thanks dhn I will try one at a time to see if this works.

When reset is done is unit "on" or "off"

When I turn on my 920 and press the satellite bars it tells me I have

Appl: 7.220

Map: NA v720.1803

I will re-install HOME and start there, if no success I will try other two suggestions.

What I do not understand is why Expl does not see the map, not even a map folder?:confused:

thanks dhn I will try one at a time to see if this works.

When reset is done is unit "on" or "off"

When I turn on my 920 and press the satellite bars it tells me I have

Appl: 7.220

Map: NA v720.1803

I will re-install HOME and start there, if no success I will try other two suggestions.

What I do not understand is why Expl does not see the map, not even a map folder?:confused:

From the data you posted, it seems the map on the unit is ok but your firmware is out of date. There have been further releases: 7.221, 7.481 and 8.010.

For many, 7.221 was the best but, in any event, that may be part of the problem. A suggestion might be:
1. BACKUP everything in the unit using Explorer, not Home
2. Use Home to navigate to 'remove items from my Go' and select the operating system.
3. Update My Unit and Home should offer the newest version of firmware for the unit. Download and install it.

However.......the issue about Explorer not seeing the map is strange. Do you have Windows set to show hidden folders and files as well as show extensions for known file types? If not, you should. (Control panel-->Folder Options-->View-->Advanced & change settings there).

I mean I don't know why the map folder should be a hidden item in the first place but check it out. And make sure the settings are as I said BEFORE making any backup.

thanks dhn

well I went through the steps and still no luck. So I plugged in my 920 and opened Wind Exp to do some checking. I could not understand why the map was not showing but working very well on the TT920:confused:

I opened the directory on the 920 and compared it to the original backup I made when I purchased the unit. I then decided to check all of the folders on the 920 to see if when the map installed the folder may have ended up under one of the other directory items:mad:

Lo and behold I found the NA Map under the folder "HELPME":confused:

I moved the folder to the main directory and all is good now:) :) :)

thanks for your help and guidance on this. Great to know you guys are there when needed. Keep up the great work:) :)

Glad to see things worked out after all. That map location silliness is a new one for me but just another example of, shall we say , 'less than robust' software on the part of TomTom.

Ask a Question