920 - Map Accuracy Problems

I had a 910 for about 2 years and everything was wonderful. I had to upgrade to the 920 when there was a minor problem with it - so, I was thrilled when Circuit City let me have the 920 since the 910 wasn't available anymore.

Well, the map accuracy on the 920 is horrible. It will get me to some places perfectly, and for others I have all kinds of issues. Audible instructions says "left" when it should be "right". It wants me to turn on roads that don't exist. It doesn't recognize neighborhoods that have been around at least 5 years, and the most common problem is that it is sometimes off 1/2 mile or more on the house numbers. I've called TomTom about this several times and most of the CSR's tell me I'm the only one that has reported problems like this. They have verfied that I have the latest map version. They just ignore me now.

Am I truly the only one having problems like this? Maybe it is just the maps in my part of the country (Louisville and Lexington KY).

I love the features on the 920, but I can't keep using it since it can't be trusted. It may work fine on 2 out of 3 locations, then it is practically useless on other locations.

Am I alone with this problem?

Never heard of this before. Can you give some examples of routes/roads that did not give problems in the 910 that create problems in the 920?

Also, what map version were you using with the old 910?

Have you tried downloading a quickfix of GPS settings since you've had the 920 and its map? If not, do so (using TTHome) and see whether the situation improves.

I've seen some clear map mistakes on my 920 but I think part of the direction errors my be in the software. I've seen one or two wrong turn notifications but the more noticeable thing I've noticed is how it will often tell me bear left or right at a fork but NOT warn me when the route hooks a left or right and another road continues on straight ahead.

One thing that drives me crazy is how old route numbers that have been retired are on the TomTom maps. For instance, here in CT route 9A was converted to route 154 about 20 years ago (maybe more). TomTom shows both route numbers. Some might suggest that this is an inconvenience but my thought is that many could become confused where there is not a route 9A sign anywhere on the actual road.

I've seen some clear map mistakes on my 920 but I think part of the direction errors my be in the software. I've seen one or two wrong turn notifications but the more noticeable thing I've noticed is how it will often tell me bear left or right at a fork but NOT warn me when the route hooks a left or right and another road continues on straight ahead.

What voice have you selected for the unit? Is it a computer voice? If not, try one and see whether that makes a difference.

What voice have you selected for the unit? Is it a computer voice? If not, try one and see whether that makes a difference.

I'm using the female computer voice (Susan?). Previously I was using one of the standard voices and noticed the same issue.

One intersection that I go through regularly is what I would call a triangle with the state road being two of those legs. I go through staying on the state road in both directions. In one direction it clearly tells me to bear left but when I'm heading home it never tells me to bear right. The triangle itself is pretty equal so it's not like the curve or angle toward the local road is any different.

"Can you give some examples of routes/roads that did not give problems in the 910 that create problems in the 920?

Also, what map version were you using with the old 910?"

I don't have specific examples since I usually only go to places one or two times. I used the 910 (not sure what version the map was, but it was about 2 years old) for several hundred locations (maybe a more than a thousand since I use it for work). It was perfect or near perfect on all but about 5 or 6 (except for the obviously new roads and neighborhoods). The 920 is WAY wrong on about 1 out of 3.

I've updated the quickfix settings.

I guess it might just be my area of the country. I honestly have a theory that someone hacked into their computer and messed up the maps on purpose because it iso bad, yet it seems random. Approximately two out of three times it is just fine. I can't imagine that it is unit specific, but I'll try switching it for another one since I have the extended warrenty.

I had a 910 here in Europe and I notice no difference, except that the new 715 map has building footprints in built up areas.

New Record

Yesterday it set a dubious record. It was a full 4 miles OFF on finding a house number. It was a very established street too.

I see many map inaccuracies also in the NY metro area. If it werent for the remote control, I would have returned the unit.

I have seen a problem in Houma. La. the lady here at the motel tells me everyone complains that their gps doesn't have the roads correct...I think thsy have been changing things...That was with my wifes 720 before I broke the screen...She told me my 920 was way off Sunday in Destin Fl. I hope this was an isolated incident...It hasn't been hooked to a computer yet so I'll use it to see before then update it and see if it changes....

Yesterday it set a dubious record. It was a full 4 miles OFF on finding a house number. It was a very established street too.

I am having the problem right now. Im sure others may have this problem for the States. It maybe a bad QuickFix file. TT Home server is down so we can't update the QuickFix.

4 miles off is nothing compared to what I went through. Anybody from SOCAL try this address (1321 Euclid St. Fullerton CA) and tell me what you think. It routed me to Westminster 20 miles off!!! This problem exist on both v7.10 and v7.15 maps.

had a XL-S and he was saying turn left at a point, then the screen was saying Right. I bring it back, I have a new one. And today he gave me 2 or 2 times a turn left in 300m, then at last secound he said turn RIGHT. And you say you have a 920 that dose that too. It is the software, I use Susane too, a computer voice.
I don't believe it is the voice itself, it might be that option
Disable early warning instructions ("ahead, turn left)
that have problems.

I disable it, so I will see what happen.

Last edited:
TomTom One same problem

I have a TT One and am using it in the Chicago area. I usually only use it when I'm already lost. I've had several experiences where the GPS got me more lost. :mad:

you can help make the maps more accurate. you guys can use mapshare to correct a vast majority of these problems. tomtom and tele atlas will get the edits, and they will be implemented in the next round of maps. be proactive!

The 920 with version 720 maps was so inaccurate in the Hudson Valley area of NY that I returned the unit in less than a week. The older maps on my One were more accurate, go figure.

Hi all !

Same thing for me, my 920T is always off by 1/4 mile to a mile.

Tomtom makes you think they are helping you, but in facts, they just put you off, hopping the 12 months warranty will cache up, and they wont have to talk to you anymore.

I have talked to them many times, and they never fix it.

George
Montreal / Canada

Ask a Question