920 Died, TomTom to replace

My 920 is one year and one month old. It worked fine untill last week when it would not boot up. Even connected to the computer and using the reset, I got the dreaded RED X screen. I could not power up nor retrived anything off of it. I called TomTom and over the phone agreed it was bad and when they asked how old it was, I wasn't sure, I said over 1 year. They said sorry, we don't fix units over 1 year. You need to buy a new one!

So I hung up and dug up my receipt, it was one year and one month so I called again and they said if I could prove the purchase date, they would take it back for repair. I emailed the receipt and UPS'ed the unit to Texas. I just got an email saying they received it and it is bad and they are sending me a refurb unit.

I am happy I didn't have to buy a new unit (it would NOT have been a TomTom thats for sure). The only problem is I had it loaded with alot of POI, demo voices, addresses, etc. Now I have to search this and other forums to find out where the heck I found all that stuff a year ago...:)

Joe

P.S. Actually come to think of it, I did backup the unit a few months ago. Can I restore my backup to a different unit?

A map is locked to a specific unit so that aspect is of no value, I think and the rest of the stuff (application) can be downloaded for free, anyway.

If you do have custom ov2 files in your backed up map folder, they can be copied to the new map folder.

Hopefully, the new maps are at least to the version levels that the old ones were.

Tomtom doesn't repair out-of-warranty units, so it must have been warranty repair.

You can usually call tomtom after getting a warranty replacement unit to have them activate the map version you used to have on your old Tomtom.

Ask a Question