910 US maps query

TomTom Model(s)
go 910
Hi all, just registered and purchased second hand GO 910 for our trip to US next month. I go to manage maps and the US maps are not present. The previous owner updated the UK maps recently and looks like the US maps have been removed. How do I go about obtaining and re-installing them? Many thanks

You'll need to repurchase the maps using Home (tomtom.com/home). Install it and register your unit with an email/pw. Then Add Maps/Voices and follow the prompts.

Many thanks for the quick reply. Will attempt to do that, was hoping a reset would put it back to factory setting as the model comes bundled with US maps.
Cheers
Roy wilkie

'Fraid not. Once the maps have been removed, they cannot be magically recreated by any sort of reset.
And you can't copy them from another unit, because each individual map is "keyed" to only work with a specific device serial number.

I would certainly check the description in the advert and contact the seller for some sort of a refund if it's at all ambiguous about the US and Europe mapping. (or at least see if he has any backups of the original maps).

Thanks for the reply. Just managed to get the device to recognise the usb connection (had to do a reset). Discover when browsing the devivce,there is a folder called North America. Assume the maps are still on the device, if at all possible, how would I go about getting my device detect it?
Many thanks

Many thanks Dhh,
Went to manage maps on me device, only getting the Uk and Europe choice.
When connect it to the PC, and navigate from explorer I can see a folder called North_America with 3 files includeing
TomTom Maps of USA and Canada v8.30.2323.gbi (777 Megs in size)
What am needing is how to restore it to my device. Any help or link would be very helpful
Cheers

If you connect to Home and go to Add Traffic/Voices and arrow right (twice) to Items on my computer-->maps, what do you see to install there?

Many thanks dhn,
I am getting 'No items available' when I select Items on your computer.
The person I purchased the device from did say he purchased from Tom Tom new maps of Uk and Europe. He did say he could not see the US maps but I was happy to purchase the device even if it meant downloading US maps for my trip in January. As I found the folder North America, was hopeing to reload them.
Many thanks for your time.

Many thanks everyone, loosing will to live... gonna purchase the USA maps again (35 quid) as only got 3 files in the North America folder, rest must have gotten deleted.
Cheers
Roy

This whole process of "fighting" with the device when moving Maps off device to make room for "purchased" alternative maps is bull. Tom Tom better address this issue soon or I will give up and go to a different device, I bought new maps, this should not make my life difficult just because the device cannot hold more than one major map at a time....

You mentioned this in another topic... I'm not sure you're fully investigating the menus in Home.....

I'm dizzy from all the options....

Menu items you can't select, Use Explorer, no don;t use Explorer, Zip files, hung devices...

Yeah, I'm sure I haven't understood the MENU options very well... Just not sure its my fault...

All I'm saying is that the "Manage my Device" section in Home should do exactly what you need, if you don't want to move the map folders yourself manually.

Is that not available to you?

Maps are there, but not available

The NA maps show up, the software knows they are there, but do not show up as available to be reloaded. Whatever flag they use to signify an available (i.e. paid for?) is not set. My EU maps show up with a check box to reload if I want. Why my NA maps only show the reference to the ZIP file, I have no Idea. I am currently waiting for TOMTOM support to provide some advise, My device is hung now (tried to extract NA files to device) with some legal liability warning that won't clear.

I assume at this point, I need a clean reload of the NA maps and all related support software.

Ah... are you saying you DELETED a map and are now hoping to re-download it, rather than having MOVED a map to your PC?

Sorry if I'm being slow...

If you manually extracted the NA files properly, try resetting the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll if your model doesn't have a dedicated reset hole.

no, to be clear, I saved/backed up, what ever you want to call it, my NA maps BEFORE I loaded the EU maps. HOWEVER, the NA maps only show up as a ZIP file and will not reload under the TOMTOM software app. I extracted the NA maps, but the device is not hopelessly hung. probably some file/driver.support file mismatch issue, not sure...

TOMTOM support has a few days to clear this up before I go to COSTCO and demand a refund...

Ask a Question