900 series at Circuit City

Does anyone know why Circuit City doesn't carry either the 920 or 930?

I have a broken 920 that is covered under their extended warrenty. I'm ready to return it - but, they don't carry either of the above either at the local store or on their website.

I have a broken 920 that is covered under their extended warrenty. I'm ready to return it - but, they don't carry either of the above either at the local store or on their website.

Probably because they are sucking hind teet right now with BlockBuster pulling out of the acquisition.

I expect they will go out of business by the end of the year. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with yours.

Last edited:
Probably because they are sucking hind tit right now with BlockBuster pulling out of the acquisition.

I expect they will go out of business by the end of the year. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with yours.
i just bought a 920t at circuit city in june (exact date is in my sig). a new store just opened near my house last month. don't think they're going out of business anytime soon.

i promise that i just bought a 920t at circuit city, i can take a picture of the receipt..lol. it's a bit strange that they just opened a new store a couple weeks ago isn't it?

i promise that i just bought a 920t at circuit city, i can take a picture of the receipt..lol. it's a bit strange that they just opened a new store a couple weeks ago isn't it?

Thats great but the OP doesn't have any in his local store and if they don't show up online (they don't right now) then he can't check availability at stores.

Is the 920 even manufactured new right now? I would think they were just selling off existing stock as the 920 series has been replaced.

I'll go with Blockbusters decision not to buy them and all the press reports including the Business Week article that I posted as to their business health rather rather than the opening of one single store.

"a key problem that CEO Philip Schoonover has often pointed to, which is that many of the companys 682 stores are in poor and underperforming locations, and would be expensive to close because they have long-term leases."

I would call around other CC stores or ask the local store if they have a way to check inventory in other stores since its not online. What other option is there but to have it repaired? Maybe calling TomTom for satisfaction.

Is the 920 even manufactured new right now? I would think they were just selling off existing stock as the 920 series has been replaced.

That's a good point, but still doesn't explain their lack of 930s.

Regardless of why they don't have them in stock or on-line, the OP has a service agreement that CC is required to honor by repairing/replacing the defective device. He should be able to take the device to his local store and present it for repair/replacement. It is then CC's responsibility to repair or replace the device in a timely manner. Under the agreement, if they are unable to repair the device, and an identical replacement device is not available, they can probably substitute an equivalent device, which in my opinion would be the 930.

I understand that the OP is probably just trying to save himself much of the headache/hassle of dealing with CC by doing the leg work himself, but doing so shouldn't be a necessary part of the process.

When I bought my 920 ,prior to the 930 release ,the 920s were hard to find locally.I've been keeping my eye on the pricing of the 930 to confirm I made a good purchase at a good time but haven't really seen the 930s in stores ?It may just be an availability issue from TomTom and not a Circuit City problem.IMO

I agree that CC should make the effort to help,but since its under warranty from TomTom I'd get in touch with them and see if they can't help speed things up.

Last edited:

Just because they don't have any for sale ,being as its a warrranty ,they should be able to get you one via other channels.I'd actually talk to them directly and see what they can do,but make sure they don't try and give you a refurbished one (at least it wouldn't be my first choice),but it would be better tan not having one.

Well, good news. I called TT Customer Service and they are sending me a new power cord for the car. The device was charging properly at home, just not in the car. So, I'm pretty confident the problem will be solved once the new cord arrives (at no charge - thanks TT).

I told the guy that CC didn't have any of their 920 or 930's on their internet site and he pretended to be surprised and said he would look into it. They also aren't carried on the Best Buy website. It seems a little strange that the two biggest electronic retailers in my area don't carry them on their websites (or in the local stores).

I'm going on a big trip in the AM so I may buy a cord even before the free replacement comes in the mail. I have a cheap Garmin as a back-up, but it's hard to go backwords.

when i bought mine at CC they did tell me that was the last one they had. not sure if they were restocking them.

I told the guy that CC didn't have any of their 920 or 930's on their internet site and he pretended to be surprised and said he would look into it. They also aren't carried on the Best Buy website. It seems a little strange that the two biggest electronic retailers in my area don't carry them on their websites (or in the local stores).

Best Buy had the 930 on their website when this thread started on sale @$449.99 and they still do. I just checked again.

It says available in most stores also. Every Best Buy in my area (6 stores) has them in stock.

Best Buy had the 930 on their website when this thread started on sale @$449.99 and they still do. I just checked again.

It says available in most stores also. Every Best Buy in my area (6 stores) has them in stock.

I actually picked one of them up the other day at my local Best Buy when it was on sale.

This is my first TomTom (or any GPS!) and so far I am very pleased with it. Took a few hours to get it completely updated however it is working like a champ!

Ask a Question